Strange question: can ISY control Vera?

ekuzmack

I have a miCasa Verde Vera model 1 I purchased a while ago when I was tinkering with home automation, and ended up going with the ISY.

overall, I'm much happier with the ISY, except with the integration with door locks. I want a door lock solution that can report lock/unlock status back to the ISY.

here's my question:

The vera has a web API, but I don't know much about it.

Does anyone have any experience with the vera API to know if the ISY can interact with it?

my thinking is that I could setup the vera to control my door lock, then use the ISY network module to talk to the vera and control the lock and obtain open/closed status.

I don't want to go through the mess of installing a plunger contact or anything like that to determine lock status....

Any thoughts on this?

thanks!

Hello ekuzmack,

The main problem with using network resources is that it's a one way street: it can send commands but it cannot receive commands. Furthermore, as far as I know, Vera does not have an HTTPS server so the commands you send to it from ISY would not be encrypted. This is a little scary for me especially since we are talking about door locks. But, I must confess that I do not know much about Vera except bits and pieces of information I receive from customers such as yourself.

To report door lock status to ISY, you can use one State Variable and then - and if possible - call ISY's REST interface from Vera. This said, I strongly suggest using HTTPS (not HTTP) as all your credentials and door status are going to be transmitted in the clear otherwise.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks - I'll look into the HTTPS issue - this will be over my wired network, so I'm not as concerned, primarily because if someone has compromised my house to the point of having a sniffer on my network, then I'm pretty much screwed anyway :-)

My thought would be to have the isy perform a lock/unlock command, wait some period of time (I'd have to figure out what the timeout needs to be), then re-poll the vera for status. The less I do on the vera the better.

I doubt I'll have time to play with it in the next week or so, but if I get it working, I'll post the information back here...

thanks for the always quick reply!

Eric

Archived