Garage Door Kit and KPL; light reversed

MikeBro

I set up my garage door kit with a KPL, and it's almost working. My sensor is only CC, so the keypad light is ON when the door is closed, and I can't seem to reverse it. My software (3.1.17) does not match the screenshots in the Wiki, so I am confused (although I'd probably be confused anyway).

How do make it so that the button light shows the opposite of what is shows on the IOLinc itself?

What is the status of the Green Sensor LED on the I/O Linc itself in regards to the garage door being open or closed. If the Green LED is On when the door is closed use the other wire combination. Red/Black or Green/Black, the opposite to what is being used now. That will reverse the I/O Linc Sensor state.

If the Green LED is Off when the door is closed check the I/O Linc options. The Trigger Reverse is set such that the I/O Linc sends an On when the Sensor is Off and an Off when the Sensor is On. Turning Off Trigger Reverse will put the Sensor state and the commands issued in sync. It is preferable not to run with Trigger Reverse in any situation as the Trigger Reverse only swaps the commands issued. If the I/O Linc is Queried the actual state of the Sensor is returned which will be opposite to the commands issued.

Lee,

I only have two wires from my sensor; white and green. It's always CC. I think what you're saying is that I'm SOL, and need to get a sensor that has OC. I was hoping that's not the case.

To reiterate, when the IOLinc sensor light is ON, the KPL button light is ON. I want to reverse that if possible.

The Smarthome garage door kit comes with a magnetic switch that has a NO (normally open) contact and a NC (normally closed) contact built into the same magnetic switch. Sounds like this is not the Smarthome garage door kit or they have changed the content of the package.

I believe the correct approach is to use a magnetic switch (either NO or NC) that results in the I/O Linc Sensor being Off (green LED Off) when the door is closed and the Trigger Reverse option not checked.

As a temporary measure you can change the Trigger Reverse option which will reverse the commands issued by the I/O Linc and thus reverse the state of the KeypadLinc button LED. As mentioned before I don't recommend using Trigger Reverse because the Query run at 3:00 AM every morning returns the true state of the I/O Linc sensor which is opposite to what the On/Off commands indicate. It is fine for the short term but the magnetic switch should be changed to give a Sensor On/Off that matches the door open/closed.

Duh. Thanks again Lee!

P.S. For those reading this thread, a big disadvantage is that although the light on the keypad is now "reversed" properly, all the software shows the garage door sensor being "on" when the door is closed, which is less than ideal. The moral is to indeed use an OC (open circuit) sensor.

Archived