KeyPadLinc Dimmer goes crazy due to CFLs on nearby circuit.

blueman2

This has nothing to do with the ISY, but I hope someone here has run into this issue with Insteons. I have 2 spots in my house where I have KPL dimmers connected to regular incandescent lights. However, in both cases, they are right next to (in the same gang box) regular old leviton switches that control a circuit of CFLs. Very often when I turn the Leviton switch on or off, it will cause the KPL to go nuts! All of the KPL LEDs go off, like it is being reset, then it comes back on and blinks the load on and off repeatedly. It also makes some weird buzzing and clicking noises as it does this.

Anyone else seen this behavior? The fact that it is happening in 2 different areas, with 2 KPLs of different firmwares bought at different times, tells me this is not just a KPL issue. It is as if the CFL coming on or off throws some transients into the power line that is causing the KPL dimmer to freak out.

It does sound like some transient or noise. Messing up the KPLs electronic.

If you pull the Air Gap Switch on the KPL and wait a few seconds. Then gently push it in to its normal position {too far may reset it}. Does the problem clear up?

If you pull the Air Gap Switch on the KPL and wait a few seconds. Then gently push it in to its normal position {too far may reset it}. Does the problem clear up?

Yes, that will reset it. Also, I can just turn the KPL off and on using main off/on button, and that too will reset it. But flipping the leviton connected to the CFLs on and off a few times will still cause the KPL to go flaky again. Very annoying.

Yes, that will reset it. Also, I can just turn the KPL off and on using main off/on button, and that too will reset it. But flipping the leviton connected to the CFLs on and off a few times will still cause the KPL to go flaky again. Very annoying.

I can tell you that in the long term those events will damage the KPL. It will either corrupt the firmware, or it will cause a surge to affect the electronics in that unit.

No need to ask me how I know . . . :evil:

Teken . . .

Archived