Controllers and Responders

remedy1234

Use a single ISY Scene for a 3-way (or 4-way) setup. Add the two associated devices as Controllers to one ISY Scene. The ISY assumes a Controller is also a Responder, cross-linking the devices such that the load and status LEDs stay in sync. Same with a 4-way. All three switches are added to one ISY Scene as Controllers.

EDIT: yes, three separate ISY Scenes. One each for the two 3-way circuits and one for the 4-way.

Can a device be a controller and a responder in the same scene?

By definition, controllers are always responders when creating a scene with the ISY. For multi-way "circuits", all switches should be in a single scene, all as controllers.

And assuming you want a true 3/4 way where all the switches control the device the same way, you need to set the ramp rate and on-level the same for local control and scene control.

Click on the scene on the left side of the main screen, then click "apply changes to all devices" and set your on level/ramp rate where you want it.

Then click on the first device listed under the scene in the tree on the left side of the screen. Click "copy scene attributes from . . "

Then continue on and do that for each device in the scene.

I'm trying to delete some of my scenes because of to many lincs in my PLM.I have a scene for every 3-way application for every device.One controller the rest responders for each scene.If I understand this correctly I could create 1 scene making all devices controllers and eliminate the other scenes in each 3-4way application?

Circuit 1 is a 3-way with device A and device B.

Use ISY Scene A, adding device A and device B as Controllers.

Circuit 2 is a 3-way with device C and device D

Use ISY Scene B, adding device C and device D as Controllers.

Circuit 3 is a 4-way with device E, device F and device G

Use ISY Scene C, adding device E. device F and device G as Controllers

The device names and ISY Scene names are arbitrary.

Finally!I GOT IT! I was creating three seperate seens for (Circuit 3 is a 4-way with device E, device F and device G

Use ISY Scene C, adding device E. device F and device G as Controllers)one controller and two resonders for each scene.That it why I am over the lincs in the PLM. :oops:

Thanks Tim

I have a question about Responders and Controllers grouped in a scene. If I have a scene with one of each, for example a light and door sensor; when the door sensor is active (open) will the light be activated because they are in the same scene? I was hoping to use a scene to have a visual if the sensor was open an/or the light was on, not to have any actions based on them.

Thanks.

Brian

biredale

The door sensor (TriggerLinc?) would be a Controller as that is all that device type can be. What type of device is physically controlling the "light". It could be a Responder, may be appropriate to define it as a Controller which also functions as a Responder. Depends on the Insteon device type. There is no concept of "Scene Status". When the Scene is selected the devices are listed with their respective status.

So let me see if I have this straight...

A scene with only responders can have a single device activated and the rest of the responders in the scene will remain unaffected?

A scene with responders and controllers will have all responders affected when there is a change to a controller within the scene?

A scene with on controllers is completely useless?

Thanks!

Brian

A scene with only responders can have a single device activated and the rest of the responders in the scene will remain unaffected?

Operation of any individual Responder device would not affect the other Responders. Turning the ISY Scene On/Off with an ISY Program or through the Admin Console will control all Responders.

A scene with responders and controllers will have all responders affected when there is a change to a controller within the scene?

Correct. That includes Controllers that also function as Responders.

A scene with on controllers is completely useless?

A Scene with all devices that can function only as Controllers (ControLinc, RemoteLinc, RemoteLinc2 as examples) would serve no purpose I can think of. However, many Insteon devices are Controllers and Responders. When adding these devices to a Scene as a Controller they also function as Responders. So a Scene with all devices as Controllers where the devices function as both Controllers and Responders (KeypadLincs, SwitchLincs, ToggleLincs, as examples) is a common ISY Scene definition. Because the ISY assumes a Controller is also a Responder (if device has that capability) adding these devices as Controllers results in all the devices being cross-linked such that they all control the load and the status LEDs stay in sync.

Archived