Only one node for new Insteon Thermostat 2441TH?

andyf0

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting status reports from my 2441TH. I put the tstat between my two hands to create a humidity and temperature change. I think the 6F commands are reporting humidity change and the 6E is reporting a temperature change. The tstat is currently in Heat mode.

I did manually add Controller links for Groups 2,3,4.

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:09 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 1D.6C.D6 19.70.06 01 6F 2F (2F)

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:09 PM : [standard-Direct][1D.6C.D6-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:13 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 1D.6C.D6 19.70.06 01 6F 2C (2C)

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:13 PM : [standard-Direct][1D.6C.D6-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:23 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 1D.6C.D6 19.70.06 01 6F 2E (2E)

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:23 PM : [standard-Direct][1D.6C.D6-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:27 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 1D.6C.D6 19.70.06 01 6E A5 (A5)

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:27 PM : [standard-Direct][1D.6C.D6-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:28 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 1D.6C.D6 19.70.06 01 6F 33 (33)

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:28 PM : [standard-Direct][1D.6C.D6-->ISY/PLM Group=0] Max Hops=1, Hops Left=0

Tue 06/19/2012 04:13:35 PM : [iNST-SRX ] 02 50 1D.6C.D6 19.70.06 01 6F 34 (34)

This is slightly off topic but another user brought it up and now that we've finally started to have summer hot hot weather over here in my corner of the world I noticed the same issue with poor temperature measuring. My AC will run for hours and the thermostat will only show at most a 1 degree change even though the rest of the measuring equipment plus a Fluke IR tester shows expected changes of several degrees. I've replaced the thermostat with Smarthome with no change.

Lee I wonder if you had seen the same effect.

Nuttycomputer

I have not seen that issue with my 2441TH but others have. Was the back of the thermostat covered over with the circular disc included with the 2441TH. I think that might help prevent any air from between the walls reaching the insides of the thermostat.

I have noticed the humidity reading to be very sensitive.

Michel,

Good to know it's not completely isolated to myself and the other user in this forum topic.

Nuttycomputer

I have not seen that issue with my 2441TH but others have. Was the back of the thermostat covered over with the circular disc included with the 2441TH. I think that might help prevent any air from between the walls reaching the insides of the thermostat.

I too have noticed the same with the humidity sensor but since I don't use it I've not considered it an issue. The circular disk is installed in my setup. I understand this is required for fire safety reasons. The thermostat itself though has what I assume are vents all the way around to allow the surrounding air to reach the sensor.

Right now though I've replaced it once and will probably go ahead and go back to the Non-Integrated Venstar version.

For reference both the one I returned and the replacement are v1.0

Michel,

Good to know it's not completely isolated to myself and the other user in this forum topic.

Nuttycomputer

I too have noticed the same with the humidity sensor but since I don't use it I've not considered it an issue. The circular disk is installed in my setup. I understand this is required for fire safety reasons. The thermostat itself though has what I assume are vents all the way around to allow the surrounding air to reach the sensor.

Right now though I've replaced it once and will probably go ahead and go back to the Non-Integrated Venstar version.

For reference both the one I returned and the replacement are v1.0

I'm so glad someone else is noticing the poor temperature readings. I guess it just got hotter, quicker in Houston that I was able to observe it sooner. My Venstars are working perfectly but they look nowhere as good as the Smarthome thermostat. I'm hoping all this will get fixed one day, looking forward to trying again.

I'm so glad someone else is noticing the poor temperature readings. I guess it just got hotter, quicker in Houston that I was able to observe it sooner. My Venstars are working perfectly but they look nowhere as good as the Smarthome thermostat. I'm hoping all this will get fixed one day, looking forward to trying again.

Indeed. Up until about 2 weeks ago the temperature was fairly stable in the house anyway so it went unnoticed. I have mixed feelings. I think the Venstar looks okay but my wife seems to notice the difference and enjoys the look of the 2441TH more. My biggest concern is the functionality I was looking forward to. Our basement area can be +/- up to 10 degrees from where are thermostat is depending on whether the door was left closed, open, how long the fan has been running etc. I was particularly looking forward to putting a wireless slave thermostat down there so we could get better control while the area is in use. Same with our Master Bedroom for night time sleeping.

I'm uncertain how else I can achieve that sort of functionality without actually spending the money to put in a full 2 zone system.

Indeed. Up until about 2 weeks ago the temperature was fairly stable in the house anyway so it went unnoticed. I have mixed feelings. I think the Venstar looks okay but my wife seems to notice the difference and enjoys the look of the 2441TH more. My biggest concern is the functionality I was looking forward to. Our basement area can be +/- up to 10 degrees from where are thermostat is depending on whether the door was left closed, open, how long the fan has been running etc. I was particularly looking forward to putting a wireless slave thermostat down there so we could get better control while the area is in use. Same with our Master Bedroom for night time sleeping.

I'm uncertain how else I can achieve that sort of functionality without actually spending the money to put in a full 2 zone system.

I've achieved a little of what you want to do. I bought a second Venstar thermostat to use as a slave in the bedroom. It's powered with a 24v Xformer. When I go to sleep I press a button on a RL2 which turns off the thermostat upstairs and sets the slave thermostat to auto with the setpoints I want. When the slave calls for cool I turn on the main thermostat, when it calls off I turn the main off. This way, with the bedroom door closed I control the HVAC based on the temperature in the bedroom only. It's a lot more complicated with checks for control failures etc but basics are not that difficult.

I called Smarthome back today and they confirmed there is an issue when the "AC is running that it displays a higher temperature than the ambient"

I personally think it is a problem more general than that and they are only seeing AC reported issues because it is summer. However, they are offering to send a Venstar Thermostat with free shipping as a replacement at no extra cost. They do charge you until they receive the 2441TH back but it's how the replacements are usually handled when dealing with them from what I've learned.

Yesterday, I used chat to talk to Smarthome and the guy that was answering my questions said that as far as Smarthome knows, there are no problems with the 2441th. It looks like this thermostat will not be ready for prime time for a while so I think I'll stop waiting and buy a 2491T1E instead. Are there any problems with this thermostat that I should know about?

• 4 weeks later...

Just setup a 2441TH (v.0B) myself - and it appears to mostly work for me - temp and humidity being displayed properly and my heat and AC is being controlled properly tot he setpoints I set. I'm not getting status updates sent to the ISY though - have to do a 'Query Status'. Annoying - yes - but not the end of the world.

In the admin console, 'Set Options' asks 'Confirm: Report Humidity' is always unchecked - if I check it - writing happens - but when I click 'Set Options' again the box is again unchecked. It does not seem to do anything either.

Also 'Fan State' and 'Heat/Cool State' do not get populated in the Web UI (or in the admin console) - so this does not appear to be read correctly either.

Michel - you mentioned an 'upcoming beta' in this thread a few weeks ago (after the release of 3.2.6) - and I still see that the latest available is still 3.2.6 (that I am already running). Is there anything in the works that you can reveal that my reduce the reported issues with this thermostat?

Many thanks,

Michael.

(Replying to topic in order to subscribe.)

I just chatted with support at Smarthome and sadly, they did not acknowledge any known problems with the 2441TH. I let them know that wasn't the 'word on the street' from actual users and gave them an overview of the commonly communicated issues here from those of you who have purchased it.

Archived