Elk - Customer Installers

SteinyD

Hi - I am an ISY99i owner and currently using it to manage a number of Insteon controlled light loads, motion detectors ,etc., in my home. I'm quite interested in adding security and video monitoring and extending the home controls for HVAC, water sensing, etc. I have tried in vein over the past week to engage Elk to help me identify 'progressional installers' in my area to help with the system configuration, purchase and installation of the Elk M1 Gold system. Though I can do much of the programming myself (as I have with the ISY), I'm short on time and interested in hiring someone to do the installation and get the initial programming and integration with the ISY complete. Elk's distribution as a manufacturer is understandably through wholesale distributors. Between Elk and the regional distributors, they have not been able to produce more than 3 resellers / installers in my area. One doesn't return phone calls (over a week) so I'm assuming they are too busy / not interested, etc. The other two I've just been provided the names to.

My concern is that it would appear that the Elk product, as much as Elk won't say so, is more of a specialized, DIY, niche product or it is that the product hasn't saturated the market I am in (NY/NJ). Am I misunderstanding their methods of distribution and their recommendations to purchase / install through the 'professional installation' process? Why are the distributors in the area and Elk not able to tell me who the installers are? Am I going about this the wrong way?

I'm 4-5 weeks from having the siding on my house and all windows replaced. I'd like to do this installation at the same time and would love to make a product decision and purchase within the next 10 days. If not Elk, then I'll have to go in a different direction though it would seem Elk will provide all of the home controls flexibility I'm looking for.

Thanks in a advance!

I wasn't aware of that forum. I will have a look and post there if appropriate. Thank you!

Have you posted this request on the cocoontech.com? That may be a better forum for a response.

As for the ELK product and integration with Insteon and the ISY, I'm sold it's the way to go.

An "Elk" installer is not necessary. The main grunt work is going to be pulling all the wires to all the doors/windows/smokes/cameras/etc. and installing the contactors, motion sensors, and whatever else. Anyone who installs security can do this as it is all the same for all the brands. After that person brings all the wires to the central location, labels them, and tests them, you can pay him and takeover yourself. The only caveat to this is that Elk uses a 2200 ohm end-of-line resistor. Other systems use a different ohm so make sure 2200 ohm ones are installed.

I would suggest personally participating in the testing process ensuring the integrity of all the wires before the person is paid and the walls are closed up.

As an ISY person I am sure you will enjoy programming the Elk and doing the install except for the grunt work! If you want to get the most out of the system, doing the final hook-up and programming is necessary or you will probably never truly understand it otherwise.

Archived