New Insteon LED light bulb

jdlegan

I have tried quite a few different LED bulbs myself.

The CREE CR6 bulbs from HD (or cheaper on ebay if buying lots of them. . . I now have close to 100 between my home and office) are very good. The 2700K temp is very natural and colors represent very well. You really can't tell the difference between them and incandescent. They dim very well and only consume 9.5 watts and have a 5 year warranty and if you read the warranty it is not a bunch of BS like with other brands (mail it in with upc receipt yadayada. . who saves upc's!!! and who is going to pay to mail it in!!!!) So far, I have not had any failures of CREE bulbs which to me, is the best warranty. And I have lots of them.

I also have a bunch of CREE ceiling troffers in my office. These are obviously not of much point in discussing here, but they are very nice.

The phillips a19 style bulbs are also very natural and project light in all directions. They bulbs work great behind lamp shades. They don't work with clip on lamp shades and you won't want them if you can actually see the bulb. I have yet to see an LED that looks good when the bulb is exposed to direct line of site.

I also have some phillips candelabra bulbs (2.5 watt) and they work well behind shades. I would not use them where you can see the bulb, but some people might.

I have not been very happy with utilitech bulbs. I have had several fail (2 out of 4) and the warranty is useless.

I have some Sylvania par spots that fit in 3 inch fixtures. They so far are fine. The light is a bit contrasty however. They throw harsh shadows in other words.

I have not had any trouble with any of LED working with Insteon dimmers.

Thanks Chris,

My bulb arrived today and I should have it set up tonight. Good to hear it works with ISY :)

Received mine, and was able to add it to the ISY by setting the type to a LampLinc. Added the bulb to a KPL scene with no problems, seems to be working fine. Color temp/light spread seems to be on par with other bulbs I have with this same design from LG. The behavior is different though, the LG's have a short delay when powered on that these don't seem to have.
Will be waiting for your report on your BulbLinc.

Calling it a LampLinc technically may not get you all the features it has but is a nice work around until it can be added to an ISY Beta release.

I did a preliminary test and hooked light to an inside lamp. No problem with recognition on ISY using LampLinc 2 pin Dim. The light responds instantly with ISY and does dim, but there is a flicker when dimming down. Once light is dimmed there is no flicker. I set it up with motion detector and it works as programmed. So far I am happy with this and will be putting in garage overhead light over the weekend. The LED appears to be the same or brighter than a 60 watt.

Calling it a LampLinc technically may not get you all the features it has but is a nice work around until it can be added to an ISY Beta release.

I did a preliminary test and hooked light to an inside lamp. No problem with recognition on ISY using LampLinc 2 pin Dim. The light responds instantly with ISY and does dim, but there is a flicker when dimming down. Once light is dimmed there is no flicker. I set it up with motion detector and it works as programmed. So far I am happy with this and will be putting in garage overhead light over the weekend. The LED appears to be the same or brighter than a 60 watt.

Can you hear any buzzing noise?? If so can you describe how loud it is?

Teken . . .

What about color? Is it like your typical 2700k incandescent or more bluish like a lot of cheaper led's?

What about color? Is it like your typical 2700k incandescent or more bluish like a lot of cheaper led's?

It appears (far from an expert) to be whiter or brighter than another lamp with the incandescent 60 watt bulb in the same room.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you hear any buzzing noise?? If so can you describe how loud it is?

Teken . . .

I did not hear buzzing in table lamp or ceiling garage light.

Archived