Dual Band SwitchLincs replacing power line only models

Brian H

Part of an email on the release of the new Dual Band 2477S SwitchLinc Relay.

Announcement to INSTEON Customers:

Dual-Band SwitchLincs to Replace Powerline-Only Versions

In an effort to offer our customers the fastest, most reliable remote control performance possible, we have stopped manufacturing our powerline-only SwitchLinc models (2476D and 2476S) in favor of their dual-band counterparts (2477D and 2477S). INSTEON dual-band communication occurs both over powerline and radio frequency simultaneously, increasing speed, network strength and overall reliability. This will provide you with the best possible experience if you are expanding your system

I guess if you have real small switch boxes like in my home. There will be no more SwitchLincs that will fit. Dual Bands are larger. :roll:

I can't wait untill the 2477S users have to fight with the #12 Line, Load and Ground wires to bend them to fit into the boxes. :(

Hi Brian,

I saw your post at the Smarthome forum and thought the same thing about depth and how adversely it will affect many people with smaller or fully loaded boxes :(

I was really concerned about the dimmer, however it looks like the dimmer is not being made deeper?

Isn't the dual band unit also 1.2"D for the dimmer?

From another thread talking about depth it sounded more like the higher current relay size was dictating the deeper dimension?

I totally agree with hating the #12 wires ( especially for the ground!) on the relay units.

I believed for a while now that Insteon would force this direction of increasing the RF coverage of the mesh network. I have always suspected, and have experienced from my testing, that simulcasting just is not working all that well and having more RF coverage should help that out.

Now I am confused Brian,

I looked before I posted and again now and the specifications section at Smarthome on the 2477D said 1.2" deep?

The 2477S says 1.73" D.

Is there more than one place to look and they conflict? Not that it is all that important, just wondering if my brain is out of sync today?

No worries Brian, A fellow cannot possibly be spot on all the time yet you come pretty darn close. You provide so much great and detailed information to so many people you certainly are entitled to a moment or an entire day of vegetation to recharge :wink:

Brian,

It looks like you were partially correct.

The owners manual for the 2477D lists the following dimensions: 4.13†x 1.78†x 1.45â€. Brian - would you mind pulling out the tape measure for a sanity check?

It does look like installation into shallow or multi-gang boxes will be getting more difficult. To be fair, the new dimensions appear to be on par with competing products from UPB and Zwave. Too bad - I had considered the ease of installation to be a discriminator in some of my multi-gang boxes.

In general, I avoid using the web page information - it's too frequently populated with copy/paste errors. I did get a chuckle out of the following spec for a Lutron dimmer. I'm afraid it's a product that I simply have no use for.

post-202-140474156118_thumb.png

Wow. You could almost have a electrical box for that Lutron be a vent through the wall. :mrgreen:

This is from the I2CS Developers Modules Kit I bought. Yes we had to buy them.

2477D Dual Band SwitchLinc Dimmer.

Hardware 6.5 1147

FW BB.

4 1/8" High

1 3/4" Wide

1 1/8" Deep

A 2477D may fit into one of my small electrical boxes. If I was using dimmer type SwitchLincs.

I know for sure a 2477S Dual Band SwitchLinc Relay would not fit. As a 2476S barely squeezed into them and #12 Line, Load and Ground wires would also not fit.

Archived