Fan Feature Request

iostream212

Well. Ceiling fan.... though i am a fan of the program. Can you make it so that fan scenes are handled better? (Or maybe it is an isy thing). I have 4 fans in a scene by themselves and would like to see scene low/Med/high/off control option instead of dim/brighten/on/off. Makes more sense for fans. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

To clarify, rather than

Set Scene 'xxxxx' On

the request is for

Set Scene 'xxxx' Low

If that is the request it is not functionally possible. The On in the statement represents the Insteon command issued when the Scene is invoked. There is no such command as Low/Med/High. Insteon does not support specifying the On Level when the Scene is invoked. The On Level is specified in the Responder link record when the Scene is defined. This value is specified as Low/Med/High/Off when setting a FanLinc Responder On Level.

With four FanLincs as Responders in one Scene, a Set Scene 'xxxx' On can functionally set FanLinc1 to Low, FanLinc2 to Med, FanLinc3 to High, and FanLinc4 to Off. Not particularly logical if the Scene is viewed as speed oriented but Scenes are often functionally oriented. Set Scene 'Dinner' On might find it appropriate to set different Fans to different speeds. The Fans in the cooking area could be at one speed while the Fans in the eating area are at a different speed.

The most important fact is Insteon has no capability to define speed (On Level) when a Scene is invoked. A Set Scene ‘xxxx’ Low would have no functional difference from Set Scene ‘xxxx’ High. The actual speed would be the same, whatever each Responder On Level was defined as.

MobiLinc allows the text to be customized. For example, Open/Close can be displayed for the I/O Linc Relay used to Open and Close a garage door even though the actual commands issued are still On/Off. Is it not possible to customize the text on the FanLinc Scene button to something other than On/Off?

Hi LeeG and iostream212,

Yes, with MobiLinc you can change the scene ON/OFF text to anything you'd like. With the FanLinc device itself, MobiLinc already will display OFF, LOW, MED, HIGH for actual fan status. This currently cannot be customized. This limitation is only for the FanLinc Fan device as it reflects what that device is doing specifically.

LeeG is correct about Scenes, in INSTEON language, you cannot command a scene to an ON level. The scene is either ON or it's OFF. Once ON or OFF you can brighten or dim the scene, but there is not an ON Level Scene concept supported. The closest way to do this is by setting the individual devices in a scene to specific ON levels. When the scene go ON, then the devices respond to their ON levels.

There is some flexibility with ISY programs and adjusting devices in a scene, but I don't think that's really the direction you wanted to go with the answer to your question.

Wes

Thanks guys for the clarification. So to group control fans and sync speeds I need to have a scene for low, Med, high, and off with the group of fans responding to the proper levels in each scene. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Archived