Brultech GEM Module Review

Teken

I have purchased the GEM module from Brultech last week. Upon the completion of the set up and configuration of the unit. I will try to provide a in depth review and analyses of the over all product.

My configuration will be out fitted with a Ethernet port, Zigbee radio antenna. I have purchased 30 x 40 amp micro donut CT's, 4 x 80 amp micro donut CT's, and 2 x 200 amp CT's. I was informed that the wireless dongle was not yet ready for prime time so I decided to purchase it later on when it is ready.

It was relayed to me also that several units have been configured with the wireless dongle and those users have not experienced the same problems as the Brultech engineers did in the lab. Having said all of this I hope to finally have a all in one unit that can measure power,temperature, and water flow while leveraging the power of the ISY module.

It has been a very long wait for this GEM module which was the only thing left in my HA set up. Now I can accurately measure, record, and react to the loads in my home. All the while keep on top of the energy hogs and limit their use etc.

I apologize in advance: Expect some formatting issues and how the thread will be created and how the images etc will be displayed. I hope to do a combination of You Tube video with how it is all set up and configured along with trouble shooting tips for the next guy.

I can't wait to get this thing and then share the results! :mrgreen:

Teken . . .

Interesting. I am watching this post. My only issue with Brultech products is that there was a PC needed for logging. Does this new module solve this problem? Can the ISY do the logging? I don't want any servers in my HA setup if you follow me...

Interesting. I am watching this post. My only issue with Brultech products is that there was a PC needed for logging. Does this new module solve this problem? Can the ISY do the logging? I don't want any servers in my HA setup if you follow me...

I believe the base unit requires a PC to be used. The company is working on a 5 watt mini server to publish the recorded events, an ETA is still unknown about this mini server. I believe the UDI team has expressed that direct support for the Brultech device will be via an upgrade to the 994 Z / ZS series of controllers.

The 99i series is no longer supported due to the low ROI. :cry:

Having said all of this, I will publish all of my findings along with detailed pictures, video's, and written review here.

EDIT: I also believe the data can be pushed to other known web portals that provide energy management.

Teken . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been slowly updating this thread about the adventures with the ISY / GEM / SEG. I hope the thread proves helpful to those in trouble shooting and what to expect.

I am in the middle of editing and updating a few of the initial posts as many elements have either changed, improved, or have been addressed by the vendors. If there are errors in any of the elements or require more clarity, please do let me know.

I shall update and append the corrections / omissions as they come in. Much thanks to Michel@ UDI / Ben@Brultech / SAm@Smart Energy Groups in offering such great products.

Regards

Teken . . .

• 1 month later...

There have been some updates to the original install thread at the Garage Journal. I hope this provides some more insight as to the offerings from Brultech.

Teken . . .

• 7 months later...

Archived