TriggerLinc - Wiring two N.O outputs in parallel ?

Teken

During the spring I had the opportunity to complete several small projects with respect to the over all HA eco system in my home. The one missing link in my Home Automation (HA) was water detection, reaction, and notification. With the help of Insteon and Flood Stop I was able to provide my home, family, and myself a measure of protection against water leaks / floods.

One of the problems I ran into was not having enough TriggerLincs to connect to the Flood Stop module. In short, the Flood Stop module has to outputs.

One being N.O. the other N.C.

I was able to successfully incorporate both units together. As soon as water was detected from the Flood Stop, the unit would send a signal to the TriggerLinc. That would in turn initiate various devices to be activated on / off.

Again, because I ran out of TriggerLincs I attempted to wire in another Flood Stop in parallel to the TriggerLinc. For what ever reason if the device was tripped (detected water) it would not activate the Insteon TriggerLinc?? :?:

Why is this?

There has to be a something very simple I am over looking here . . . I tried all manners of combinations and also changing the state of the TriggerLinc to no avail. :(

Your insight into this would be greatly appreciated, one and all. Here is a few video's of my final success and what I was able to accomplish on a shoe string budget!

Teken . . .

The external connection on the TriggerLinc is shorted together for the TriggerLinc to be Off. Once shorted together by whatever is connected to the TriggerLinc, connecting another device with the same characteristics, shorted when Off, both external devices would have to be activated for both to have open connections (not shorted) for the TriggerLinc to show On. Either device in the shorted Off position will prevent the TriggerLinc from turning On.

To connect two or more devices it is necessary to connect them in series so that when either device activates and opens the circuit the TriggerLinc will turn On.

The external connection on the TriggerLinc is shorted together for the TriggerLinc to be Off. Once shorted together by whatever is connected to the TriggerLinc, connecting another device with the same characteristics, shorted when Off, both external devices would have to be activated for both to have open connections (not shorted) for the TriggerLinc to show On. Either device in the shorted Off position will prevent the TriggerLinc from turning On.

To connect two or more devices it is necessary to connect them in series so that when either device activates and opens the circuit the TriggerLinc will turn On.

I will try this and report back! As always thank you for your insight and continued support. :mrgreen:

Teken . . .

• 3 months later...

To connect 2 alarming devices (water sensors) to a single "zone" you wire one of two ways.

1) If it is a normally open device (water sensor), wire in parallel.

2) If it is a normally closed device (water sensor), wire in series.

And of course set your alarm panel or whatever the water sensor is plugged into for normally open or normally closed according to whichever type of water sensor you are using.

Archived