Venting..

biredale

I got an email from SmartHome about free shipping on August 3rd on orders over $100 (USD). I placed my order, entered the Coupon code, proceeded to the checkout assuming my coupon code would default to the "correct" shipping method. However, I missed the fact that shipping was set to USPS instead of the required FedEx Ground as was necessary for the free shipping. I accept that I missed the fine print and the even finer print of Shipping Policy on their website as pointed out by their customer service department.

I had hoped that SmartHome would do the decent thing with store credit after my many previous orders but sadly not.

Make sure you read the fine print... My Bad.

Regards,

Brian

Sorry to read of your problem.

I have had the shipping method jump to the incorrect way and luckily caught it before committing to the order.

Another thing is the $200 Order Free Shipping. Is only to commercial addresses. Couple of folks got snagged by that one also.

I got an email from SmartHome about free shipping on August 3rd on orders over $100 (USD). I placed my order, entered the Coupon code, proceeded to the checkout assuming my coupon code would default to the "correct" shipping method. However, I missed the fact that shipping was set to USPS instead of the required FedEx Ground as was necessary for the free shipping. I accept that I missed the fine print and the even finer print of Shipping Policy on their website as pointed out by their customer service department.

I had hoped that SmartHome would do the decent thing with store credit after my many previous orders but sadly not.

Make sure you read the fine print... My Bad.

Regards,

Brian

Brian,

If they really wanted to help you, they would have! :| Bottom line they decided NOT too and simply pointed out the small print. :roll: The whole $200.00 only going to a commercial address is also pile of crap too!

I buy $200.00 worth of your product you better ship it to any address I want.

Just brutal on the first order . . .

Teken . . .

It is cheaper to send to a commercial address.

I have heard & read that its cheaper. In all cases no one has ever offered how it could be cheaper to deliver a parcel to a home / company.

1. Parcel is sorted and placed on truck.

2. Address is provided to the driver about the clients shipping address.

3. Driver locates site, and delivers parcel to client.

Just because my name is called taco co etc. Means nothing, also millions of people around the world have *Home Work Space* (registered) as a place of business. Nothing has stopped any of these people ever receiving a parcel, ever.

Teken . . .

I am 25 miles from any business. It is possible if not likely that on any given day the express company will be delivering to commercial addresses that are closer to the route than driving the 25 extra miles to a distant rural residence.

Is that why it is cheaper, who knows. The express company charges less for commercial delivery.

Tekken,

I believe LeeG was simply stating fact: both FEDEX and UPS charge more to deliver to a residential address. Smarthome is simply passing the difference in cost along to you.

Smarthome's rates also appear reasonable:

1) They charge lower rates than I can get for the same size/weight box (they're getting a discount).

2) They do not charge "by item" like some vendors. Increasing the quantity of an item does not increase cost unless a weight limit/box size limit is exceeded.

BTW - having a home business will not necessarily get you "business rates".

Tekken,

I believe LeeG was simply stating fact: both FEDEX and UPS charge more to deliver to a residential address. Smarthome is simply passing the difference in cost along to you.

Smarthome's rates also appear reasonable:

1) They charge lower rates than I can get for the same size/weight box (they're getting a discount).

2) They do not charge "by item" like some vendors. Increasing the quantity of an item does not increase cost unless a weight limit/box size limit is exceeded.

BTW - having a home business will not necessarily get you "business rates".

I guess a lot of variables come into play. But, in this small city where I live there are countless business outside of the city limits. They are delivered to with out problems or increased shipping rates. The reverse of this is not true through. You can have a home well within the city limits (cost less gas etc) yet they say the shipping will cost more?

Teken . . .

There are two separate FedEx ground services. Not counting Smart Post where the Post Office delivers the package after FedEx delivers it to the local Post Office.

FedEx Ground is for commercial deliveries. Monday - Friday Standard Business hours.

FedEx Home Delivery is for residential deliveries and is from Tuesday - Saturday and can be from 9:00AM to 8:00 PM.

I believe there is an optional feature to schedule a delivery when someone is home.

I have gotten a few Smarthome shipments on a Saturday.

From what the Smarthome shipping information indicates. FedEx is the one that determines a Residential or Commercial Status and they have no say in the matter.

If you are in what UPS and FedEx deem as a "rural" area like I am they not only charge Smarthome the residential delivery charges and also a rural area charge (used to be a buck fifty, not sure anymore). The way I look at it, that couple of extra bucks wouldn't buy enough gas for me to drive into town to pick it up so.....

Archived