Check internet connection

fasttimes

Nicely done Xathros. Pushing the use-case envelope.

I don't reboot my gear much either, but in thinking this through a bit, if your internet service does go out (as opposed to a locked-up modem or router), won't this power cycle your gear every 30 minutes until it comes back? I mean, usually if I've lost Internet for any length of time, odds are the power is out too, but there have been times where it's just been a Comcast outage for a day.

I guess I'd suggest adding some logic that power cycled things once or twice, then left them on until internet service returned, rather than running a bunch of on/off cycles a day during a worst-case scenario. Or maybe just try every couple hours after the initial try.

Food for thought for anyone who tries this.

Thanks for the compliment and the comments.  I have considered this and I can easily add some more code to suspend the resets for a few hours after a few cycles but so far this has not been a problem for me.  My connection is quite stable. We have had one extended outtage in the last few years and during that, I manually disabled my test program.  Of course, I was home at the time.  Had I been away, this would have resulted in the modem being rebooted numerous times.

-Xathros

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out. I was having a hard time figuring out that the rest command that was being sent was actually setting the variable.

I was also not understanding that the 37 in the rest command (/rest/vars/set/1/37/1) was the Id for the variable that you create. All this stuff that's probably pretty easy for you guys was making my head spin. lol

This all works like a charm thanks for sharing this info, it goes without saying that if you didn't have it here there is noooo way I would have ever figured out how to do this.

Thanks a ton!

Archived