MorningLinc TriggerLinc and an Away KeypadLinc button

timmay

I'm looking to automate the common scenario of leaving the house and locking the door. I have been shy about using just a timer on locking the door after hitting the KeypadLinc Away button because I have 2 young children and you never know how long it's going to take. I was looking into adding a TriggerLinc (a.k.a. Wireless Open/Close Sensor): http://www.smarthome.com/2843-222/INSTE ... sor/p.aspx to make it more robust and I'm imagining the following psuedo program:

Variable definitions:

'Door Sensor' = TriggerLinc (I'm not sure what the device exposes, I think it's like the MorningLinc in that it has 2 states, but I'll treat it as a normal controller as that's simpler)

'Door' = MorningLinc Deadbolt

'Away' = KeypadLinc button

Simple programs:

if (control 'Door Sensor' is switched Closed) AND (status 'Away' is On)

Then

Set 'Door' Lock Door

And a second program on my return:

if (control 'Door Sensor' is switched Open) AND (status 'Away' is On)

Then

Set 'Away' Off

This is of course stupid because it would require you to hit the away button before opening the door, but I read that you cannot query this device. I can also imagine my daughter playing with the door, triggering the closed sensor and having it lock prematurely. I'm sure I can do something fancy with variables, but I'm fairly new to that and every time I thought I'd need a variable for something else I eventually figured out (or discovered in this forum) how to do it without one.

Luckily the device is fairly cheap so it's not a huge waste if it doesn't work out, but since I'll also have to write the program it'll be nice to avoid any pitfalls. Thanks for your advice!

Archived