IOLink Sensor / Trigger Reverse

ngeren

N/O and N/C are defined differently by different industries and intended uses.  Sensors meant for Alarm systems seem to have the opposite meaning than normal relays and switches.

A N/C push button is closed until pushed.  A N/C window sensor is closed when the magnet is in proximity and open when the magnet moves away.  It's all in the definition of "Normal"...

-Xathros

@Brian H: Yeah the definition is about the 'de-energised' state of the device.

In industrial electronics we run into a lot of latching relays and devices that can stay in either state without being 'energised' blowing the standard definition out of the water. Then the 'a' and 'b' contact definition came into being.

An 'a' contact is closed when the device is closed.

A  'b' contact is closed when the device is open.

A  'c' form contact has both on one contact blade (just to be confusing)

These terms are often used on commercial garage door closer pallet contacts even though adjustable to any angle. :?

OK, now when is a lock 'energised', 'de-energised', 'closed' or 'open'? :-P

Thank you all for the explanations. It seems like I'll never really know what I'll get because of the different terminology, which is why I purchased a switch with both NO and NC. 

I did remember to make sure the Trigger Reversion option was off. 

The following is the first contact switch I purchased which was N/O did not work: http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Rolling-Magnet-Contact-Switch/dp/B008SKTWVC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404824807&sr=8-6&keywords=normally+open+magnetic+switch#productDetails%C2%A0

So I purchased a second switch that have both N/O and N/C: http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-8601-Magnetic-Switch/dp/B0009SUF08/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J4EJNATN8VVTMCTCK91 

The second one worked when on the N/C but the garage had a gap so it wouldn't read when the garage was closed. To solve that issue, I took the large magnet from the first switch that I purchased and affixed that to the garage door, and then used the second contact switch and plugged that into the IOLink and then into the N/C connections of the switch. Now it works great with my garage that has a 2" gap between the sensors. Hope that helps anyone else in the future. 

Archived