Insteon Leak Sensor

Brian H

Brian,

I see it has a heartbeat group. Is this new to Insteon or do some other products have this?

Sounds like a good function to have when and if the ISY supports it. Impressive battery life if that includes the heartbeat function being active.

Without going into to many details. SDK NDA here.

I have seen one other devices Developers Notes with a Heartbeat mentioned.

The time interval between a heartbeat is long or after changes have occurred.

Also the Leak Sensor ships with a Lithium AA cell for power.

Hi Jdale,

Was the heartbeat used for anything on the Remotelinc? Was it another group like this new sensor?

I visited your site and saw where you documented the heartbeat command in the Remotelinc. Looks like battery level information?

Have you ever implemented it to see if it worked? Is that feature turned off by default?

Any idea if the Remotelinc2 supports that command? It would be nice to know when you needed to recharge the Remotelinc2.

I assume the point was 1) to verify the battery wasn't dead and 2) to give software the opportunity to update links in the device. It is possible to change the setting for how often the heartbeat is or how long the device stays in listen mode after sending the heartbeat message.

No idea if the RemoteLinc 2 supports it.

More recent devices that have general status messages (e.g. low battery) distinct from the main signal tend to use other groups for those messages. But in the RemoteLinc, the heartbeat was a broadcast message so there would be no linking or groups.

I suspect this approach has been dropped, because it is not really in the spirit of i2cs where everything must be linked for security purposes.

Thanks Jdale,

Just for fun I read my Remotelinc with get data and based on your data set it was configured as:

D3= 1 (stay awake for 1 sec)

D4 = 5 (wake up every 62.5 minutes)

D5 = 7 (send 7 "0x04" messages at heartbeat)

I then monitored the unit for any messages both via RF and power line but did not see any activity after 2 hours. It is a hardware Rev 1.2 unit.

Very possible thing got changed in the firmware.

I have some v1.0 RemoteLincs. I can actually link a device to the All On and All Off buttons without them being linked to one of the six button sets. I don't know if the newer ones can still do it.

My ISY994i will then catch the link record as an Extra record found.

Archived