Scene vs Program on ISY

gmhayes

Hello guys,

I have recently purchased a "starter set" including an ISY99, two access points, a motion detector, and three dual band dimming switches.

I have done some rooting around in the other threads and cannot find the answer to what I am assuming is a very basic question. I'm a newbie to this forum and this is my first post some hopefully I don't get too much grief for not being able to find my answer... :D

Do "scenes" and "programs" interfere with one another?

Here is a short example of what I would like to do after dusk.

Put a motion detector on my front door that triggers "Porch Light Switch" ON for 5 minutes using a Scene. That way it will operate regardless of the state of the ISY or my network.

Then I would like to use the same motion detector to start a program to run. Here is the basic pseudo code for the program.

If there is motion on the motion detector AND the Trigger Linc on the front door is ON

Then turn the Porch Light Switch ON for 2 minutes AND turn the hallway light on for 5 minutes AND turn the laundry room light on for 5 minutes AND turn the kitchen light ON, (no timer on kitchen light).

I'm just wondering if the actions triggered by the motion detector in the scene will interfere with a different action desired for the program using the same motion detector. I'm just curious if the program can cause the device to operate differently than the scene that is sent to it and stored on the device.

I guess if I had to I could just treat the motion detector scene separate from the "return home" program that lights the way to my alarm keypad. The light would just be on a little longer.

I haven't even started doing any programming yet but I am looking forward to it!

I feel a minor techno addiction coming on... :)

Thanks a bunch!

gmhayes

It is possible for a Scene and Program initiated Insteon activity to trip over each other. I would not worry about that for now. Use Scenes where you want them. I prefer Scenes when they make sense for the reasons you indicated. There is no delay with a Scene and if the ISY or network is down Scenes tend to work. There are situations where Programs make sense and they should be used in those cases. There is a very slight delay to trigger a Program and have it do the same activity a Scene would do directly but there are cases where that is useful. Code the ISY Programs the way you want them. If something does not work as expected post the situation. There are lots of really helpful folks on this forum that are more than willing to help.

Archived