Phillips Hue Support

ajiuo

Another hint for playing with the Hue.  There is a built-in developer tool at http://hue.ip.address/debug/clip.html.  You can use it to test API requests.  For example to register a new username called isy994user (usernames must be at least 10 chars)

- Go to http://hue.ip.address/debug/clip.html, replace hue.ip.address with the actual IP address.

- set URL to /api

- set Message Body to { "devicetype": "app_name#device_name", "username": "isy994user" }, replace app_name and device_name appropriately.

- click POST

• 2 weeks later...

rbnelson, I may have to check this out sooner than later now that you've implemented random scenes.

Question on the random scenes, can you select from a certain group of scenes?

For example, I have 7 hue lights in the living room  but only use 3 of them when I watch TV.  But I have several different scenes with these 3 lights that I like.

I would like to cycle from within these scenes.

I am also trying to figure out scenes while playing a movie depending on genre from my XBMC htpc.  So I would group several scenes into and Action or Comedy or Romantic movie group and be able to randomly select a scene.

Thanks for your efforts with this

• 1 month later...

I just picked up the HUE starter pack and would like to be able to turn on the lights with the Insteon Dimmer switch but have the lights come on to whatever color I have selected in the HUE app... I also have thought about using the Insteon Scene Controller and select a different color combo for each scene. I do have one little problem though... My wife only wants 3 of the 4 lights in the room to be colored. Do I need to buy another HUE bulb since the switch would be supplying constant power to the bulbs? 

• 2 weeks later...

I now have 4 of the HUE bulbs... I was thinking of using a Insteon Scene controller with each button having a different color selection. 

Would this be possible (and preferably easy)...

1. Top button turns the bulbs on, and bottom button turns them off.

2. The middle 4 buttons would each send the code for a color scene.

If so what do I need to do (I am very much a novice on any kind of programming)?

tia,

Ron

Hi Ron,

This may not take care of your requirements, but I just installed one of these Philips Hue Tap Switch next to the same physical light switch that turns on my 6 hue bulbs.  I then programmed what I wanted for the 4 buttons with my iPhone, took me 15 minutes for the whole project and my wife finds it easy to use.  The cool thing, is that this unit does not require any batteries and uses the push motion to generate it's own energy.  

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-452532-Personal-Wireless-Frustration/dp/B00ME9CD28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420173353&sr=8-1&keywords=Philips+hue+tap

I did it, after spending some time reading through the info in the forums here. I'm not much of a command line person either. It's not tough. It sure helps if the bridge and at least one bulb are near you.

Getting Group 0 to do stuff is easy, in particular. Give it a try. I have network resources for on, off, on 50%, and color cycle programmed to a remote link and a keypad link in my living room, with 6 Hue bulbs currently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would this be possible (and preferably easy)...

1. Top button turns the bulbs on, and bottom button turns them off.

2. The middle 4 buttons would each send the code for a color scene.

This is totally possible. I have a similar setup using a togglelinc.

Essentially, you will want to create a network resource entry that defines each of these six states you described - on, off, plus the four colors. You will need to decide if the 'on' state turns it on at the previous color or always writes it to a consistent default color. The forum has some examples of what these look like.

As was pointed out it is always easiest to debug the creation of these when you have a clear line of site to one of the bulbs.

After that, you can write a few programs to send the network resources when the buttons are pressed. I would say one program to handle on and off, and then one for each of the buttons would work for your example.

Man Hue works so well with the ISY!  The API is so easy to understand too even if you aren't technical.  I bought the light strips starter kit and put one under each of my cupboards in the kitchen, then made the KPL buttons in the kitchen control them, plus one to do the light color cycle thing and so on.  It's great too for alarm type stuff, like motion detected in away mode, making them flash the red alarm.  Now I keep thinking where I can put more of these in the house as I'd rather have them than Insteon LED bulbs.

Am I correct in that there's currently no way to in any capacity, have the ISY query the Hue to confirm if they are on or not and update a variable to like 1 if they are on or 0 if not?  Right now variables track their status, which is fine as long as the ISY is what turns them on.

Am I correct in that there's currently no way to in any capacity, have the ISY query the Hue

I too enjoy how straight forward it was to integrate.

With that said, you are correct that ISY cannot do this directly. There would need to be something in the middle that can monitor changes to Hue and then notify ISY. I haven't seen a good example of this yet so I am not regularly using anything to control my Hue other than ISY.

One thing I do like is that even with the various Hue apps, at least when you open them they don't just automatically turn the lights on.  So as long as I only turn them on and off from the ISY, it's nice to know that opening or closing an app on my phone won't accidentally turn them off or on.

If the Insteon switch controls the load then it might be a bit more tricky since it would need to be on first, but if it doesn't then one thing you could try doing would be a few programs with variables now, such as "If SwitchLinc is between 1-20% then set Hue Resource 1-2 On" "If SwitchLinc is between 21-50 then set Hue Resource 21-50 On" etc, and those resources could be set to adjust the Hue brightness.  It wouldn't be nice and fluid like an Insteon dimmer, but would at least let you create however many dimming levels you need.  For me I generally am at off, on, or about 35%, so for me even a program saying if it's between 1-50 then set Hue to 35% would work also.

No the lights can all be powered all the time, and I did briefly consider something along those lines. I just figured I can live with 50% and 100% for now, I've got plenty of other parts of this system to work on (and limited time), so I figured I'd procrastinate on that part until 5.x is available and spend some time on it then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just installed my Hue light starter kit last night.  Thanks to all that have contributed in this thread.  This made integrating the Hue with my ISY much easier!

-Xathros

Hi everyone,

First post, but long time reader of this post. Its been a lot of help. I have a question regarding my isy994 and Philips hue lights. I configured the hue lights and isy via networking module. When I hit the test key, the lights do what I want. (at this point, it is only an on command for lights 1 2 and 3). When I attempt to make a program using the network resource, it doesn't seem to run. I have it where when I "fast on" another light switch (living room front), then network resource lights. I have also tried when fast on, then run "then program" of hue lights. Nothing works, but when I manually click the "run then" on the hue program, the lights turn on. I have also tried to make a variable where when hitting the fast on  hue lights=2 , then if hue lights =2 then run network resource. I know I have to be doing something wrong. Even my variable for my front door counter doesn't seem to be working anymore. It use to count how many times my front door was open, but now it doesn't seem to respond. Any thoughts, ideas, comments. Thanks.

Must be something wrong in the program conditions.

Post your program here.  Right click the program in the tree, select "Copy to Clipboard" from the very bottom of the menu and then paste into a <> code block here.

-Xathros

If
        Control 'Living Room' is switched Fast On

Then
        $Hue_Light  = 2

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

If
        $Hue_Light is 2

Then
        Run Program 'Living Room Rear' (Then Path)
        Resource 'Living Room Left Rear'
        Resource 'Living Room Right Rear'
        Resource 'Living Room Center Rear'

Else

I have also tried if control living room is fast on

then run "living room rear" (then path)

If

Then

$Hue_Light  = 2

Else

If

$Hue_Light is 2

Then

Else

I have also tried if control living room is fast on

then run "living room rear" (then path)

The variable Hue_Light must be a State variable for this to work.  I suspect you have it set as an Integer.

Additionally, you could do the same thing without the variable:

If

Then

Else

-Xathros

Archived