How to monitor water temp via ISY and catch more fish!

jmed999

The thermostats will send either remote or internal sensor temperature dependant on the setting in the thermostat.

However, ISY will not intetpret or display the received data unless marked as internal sensor.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

The sensor for the thermostat is hard wired. There's no way around that.

That was not the question but thank you.

The thermostats will send either remote or internal sensor temperature dependant on the setting in the thermostat.

However, ISY will not intetpret or display the received data unless marked as internal sensor.

Ok so the ISY was not updated to handle the external probe yet.

Thank you

That was the post response. The only solution is to solder the external probe in place of the internal sensor. Neither the ISY nor any Insteon manager can respond and base control on the external probe any other way.

That was not the question but thank you.

Ok so the ISY was not updated to handle the external probe yet.

Thank you

I confess. I haven't tried it with v5.0.8

But the 2441zth can only send one.

I confess. I haven't tried it with v5.0.8

But the 2441zth can only send one.

I only need to send the one temp for the water.  It would have been a tad easier if the ISY had been updated but its a really easy mod.  I only asked since so much time has passed since it was answered and so many cuts of code released on both the 4X and 5X paths. 

I only need to send the one temp for the water.  It would have been a tad easier if the ISY had been updated but its a really easy mod.  I only asked since so much time has passed since it was answered and so many cuts of code released on both the 4X and 5X paths. 

Ok I received the thermostat and I enrolled it in the ISY.  It is not showing the internal temp sensor reading in the ISY or Mobilinc (unless Mobilinc is still catching up).  I did a factory reset and made sure its looking for the internal not ext sensor.  I can control the thermostat from the ISY and also Mobilinc but it does not show the current temperature. 

Any ideas? 

What's the result if you query the thermostat first? The ISY cannot read the temperature of the external probe at all. If you want/need to use the probe, then you'll have to solder the probe's wires to where the internal probe was connected.

What's the result if you query the thermostat first? The ISY cannot read the temperature of the external probe at all. If you want/need to use the probe, then you'll have to solder the probe's wires to where the internal probe was connected.

Stu there is no result of the query that is the problem.  The temp is not showing in the ISY with no modification yet of the T-Stat.  I want to see the internal temp sensor result in the ISY. Once I see that I can swap the sensors.

• 8 months later...

I have not seen anyone extending the internal temperature sensor out side the case.

It should work.

One thing to do if you try it.

The sensor has bare leads on it as it normally is inside the case. I would put some insulated tubing on the bare leads and some shrink tube where the short wires are soldered to it.

Where do you intend to use the internal sensor? It's not weather/water proof.

I just want to get it outside the case to improve the response time.  I'll probably just fasten it with silicone to the outside of one of the slots, leads going through the slot.

But after logging it last night, I'm not really sure I need to do it.  It's a fireplace application.  I was only getting a 1 degree process deadband from on to off.  I thought it was more than that.

• 1 month later...

I have been using the xxx for years to monitor my spa temperature with the ISY (the external sensor soldered to the internal pins) and it works well, BUT the first sensor lasted about 1 year then failed.  The next one I embedded in an epoxy bulb and it lasted two years.  Before I get another probe and try a better seal, I want to check out any other options:

1) Has anyone else had this sensor life issue?  Any better ideas?

2) Has anyone actually tried the CAO Tags temperature probe to ISY with a pool or hottub (water with sanitizer)?

3) My spa (Dimention 1 with D1 Spa Connect) HAS A BUILD IN TEMPERATURE MONITOR WITH WIFI.  It only reports the temperature to the iphone app (in.touch world) but it has no alerts or emails or logging.  Has anyone interfaced this to an ISY?

4) Have any better options for pool/spa temperature monitoring become available?

THANKS!

I have been using the xxx for years to monitor my spa temperature with the ISY (the external sensor soldered to the internal pins) and it works well, BUT the first sensor lasted about 1 year then failed.  The next one I embedded in an epoxy bulb and it lasted two years.  Before I get another probe and try a better seal, I want to check out any other options:

1) Has anyone else had this sensor life issue?  Any better ideas?

2) Has anyone actually tried the CAO Tags temperature probe to ISY with a pool or hottub (water with sanitizer)?

3) My spa (Dimention 1 with D1 Spa Connect) HAS A BUILD IN TEMPERATURE MONITOR WITH WIFI.  It only reports the temperature to the iphone app (in.touch world) but it has no alerts or emails or logging.  Has anyone interfaced this to an ISY?

4) Have any better options for pool/spa temperature monitoring become available?

THANKS!

I just ordered the Wireless Tag outdoor probe to monitor my hot tub. Will let you know how it works out in a month or so. Not so sure I will actually put the probe in the water. I may just put it above water. I am not after the exact water temperature as much as I want to ensure the my tub is warm and the heater is working. I want to ensure that if the tub should lose power or if the heater dies that I don't end up with a frozen tub. I see -40C temperatures here in Ottawa so I am thinking a tub without a heater could freeze solid in a day or so.

I just ordered the Wireless Tag outdoor probe to monitor my hot tub. Will let you know how it works out in a month or so. Not so sure I will actually put the probe in the water. I may just put it above water. I am not after the exact water temperature as much as I want to ensure the my tub is warm and the heater is working. I want to ensure that if the tub should lose power or if the heater dies that I don't end up with a frozen tub. I see -40C temperatures here in Ottawa so I am thinking a tub without a heater could freeze solid in a day or so.

The Tag part could be left inside a pocket glued to the outside of the cover and the probe just penetrating the cover to the inside through a small pinhole that should seal behind the insertion.

IIRC the probes are just 1-Wire temperature probes that you can buy on ebay for $0.99 usually. easily replaced except for the moulded plug they use.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this to life again, but I was sent this thread by another user who thought it would help. I have a two zone HVAC with one wired thermostat upstairs and one wired thermostat downstairs. My infant daughter has a room on the further side of the house away from both thermostats upstairs. Its also further from the HVAC itself so the temp isn't the same as the other two thermostats. I have a wireless thermostat in her bedroom but like we know, it doesn't report back the room temp the way it is. I would it to report back the temperature in the room so that I can write a script in the ISY994i to raise or lower the other thermostats according.

Is what I'm asking possible by wiring in an external prob to the internal sensor or should I try what someone above said and increase the length of the internal sensor?

Thank you,

Brian

1 hour ago, Jeepngli said:

....I have a wireless thermostat in her bedroom but like we know, it doesn't report back the room temp the way it is. I would it to report back the temperature in the room so that I can write a script in the ISY994i to raise or lower the other thermostats according.

Brian

I'd not want to "operate" on one of these electronically.

Another option is to get another wired version of the thermostat, provide it power to run it so it reports temperature frequently to the ISY like a sesnor. Don't connect it to the HVAC system (since the wires aren't there anyway). Your programs would have to do the averaging between this new "remote" and the others, and adjust setpoints accordingly or whatever method you'd like.  

Paul

Sorry to bring this to life again, but I was sent this thread by another user who thought it would help. I have a two zone HVAC with one wired thermostat upstairs and one wired thermostat downstairs. My infant daughter has a room on the further side of the house away from both thermostats upstairs. Its also further from the HVAC itself so the temp isn't the same as the other two thermostats. I have a wireless thermostat in her bedroom but like we know, it doesn't report back the room temp the way it is. I would it to report back the temperature in the room so that I can write a script in the ISY994i to raise or lower the other thermostats according.

Is what I'm asking possible by wiring in an external prob to the internal sensor or should I try what someone above said and increase the length of the internal sensor?

Thank you,
Brian

Brian
I'd not want to "operate" on one of these electronically.

Another option is to get another wired version of the thermostat, provide it power to run it so it reports temperature frequently to the ISY like a sesnor. Don't connect it to the HVAC system (since the wires aren't there anyway). Your programs would have to do the averaging between this new "remote" and the others, and adjust setpoints accordingly or whatever method you'd like.  
Paul

Paul, if he has a ZWave ISY wouldn’t a Aeotec MultiSensor6 work well for this?

Archived