Help With Motion Sensors

larrydreher

Just got my ISY994i and a few new insteon modules (to add to my older modules) so I've been spending some time discovering all my devices, clearing them out, and resetting up my scenes using the ISY.

Up until I tried to get my motion sensor to work, things were going pretty well.

The symptom I'm having is that it doesn't seem that I'm ever getting an off command after the motion times out. I put the sensor into linking mode and added it to ISY. My Dip switches are all off expect for #5 which I bridged since it seemed that the instructions indicated it should be bridged if the sensor was controlled by automation software.

When using the "set options" button on the ISY gui, the screen shows on only mode to be unchecked. I figured that was the problem so I check the box and pressed ok but still no luck with turning the lights off. The sensor does turn the lights on, just never off. My sensors are older and listed as 2420M v.24.

Thanks in advance for any ideas to try.

I understand that to make changes in the motion sensor settings from the ISY interface, the motion sensor must be set to link mode in order for the settings to be updated. Hopefully, others can confirm. If you did not do this, give it a shot.

While this does not solve your problem, I have found that using the "on" only mode with the motion sensor to be better when using the ISY. I find there to be much more control over timer events when using an ISY program, rather than the built-in timer of the motion sensor. I also find that these types of events are much easier to modify when they are controlled outside the motion sensor.

Consider the simple ISY program:

if
control motion sensor set on

then
wait 3 minutes
set 'motion sensor lighting scene' off

else

If I had to wager, I would put money on the likelihood that more users of the ISY have taken this approach rather than relying on the motion sensor timer.

"What is Sensing Mode" The box was unchecked

More background... I did understand that the device needs to be place in linking node to make changes. Here is another piece of info though... I can put the device into linking mode, look at the gui set option screen, make changes, press ok, and when I repeat the steps none of the changes I have made to the sensor are persisted. When I bring up the settings in the gui again they are lost.

For more background, I have two sensors and they exhibit the same behavior.

About using a program for the turn off logic. That seems to be a good idea. I thought of it but since I'm a novice, I wasn't sure the off timer would keep getting reset in ISY when motion was present. For instance, I would like the light to stay on indefinitely while there is motion and turn off after 3 minutes of inactivity. Will the sample code you provided do that?

What ISY firmware is being used?

What is the Motion Sensor firmware level?

Sensing Mode (also known as Occupancy mode) causes the Motion Sensor to send Motion On commands for every motion detected. Without Sensing Mode the Motion Sensor must timeout before issuing an Off command or the next On command.

Check that Jumper 5 is positioned on both pins. It acts as though it is not set up for programmatic configuration.

What ISY firmware is being used?

What is the Motion Sensor firmware level?

Sensing Mode (also known as Occupancy mode) causes the Motion Sensor to send Motion On commands for every motion detected. Without Sensing Mode the Motion Sensor must timeout before issuing an Off command or the next On command.

Check that Jumper 5 is positioned on both pins. It acts as though it is not set up for programmatic configuration.

ISY Firmware 3.2.6

Motion Sensors (these are codes from inside sticker)

#1 Series 2440M 4408 Rev1.0B

#2 Series 2440M 1909 Rev1.1

Jumper 5 is set. Interestingly though, the original user manual that came with these indicates jumper 5 is reserved for future use.

In my case, wouldn't sensing mode be irrelevant if I'm using the sensor to issue the off command? If I use a program in ISY I would need constant updates to reset any timer.

"My sensors are older and listed as 2420M v.24."

That was how they are reported in the ISY GUI. The stickers on the inside have the info I listed later. Sorry if that's a source of confusion.

So it looks like I may not be able to set the functions through software. I suppose I can deal with that. That gets back to how most people use these with the ISY. If I use an ISY program to turn off a scene after inactivity will the example program listed above do that for me? I need to study up on the programming aspects of the device.

The information the Admin Console is displaying is the Motion Sensor Firmware level. The information on the sticker is the hardware Revision level. Rev 1 Motion Sensors cannot be configured programmatically as the documentation that came with the Rev 1 motion sensors indicates. Jumper 5 has no function at hardware Rev 1

Archived