Upgrade question

jmwking

I've had a simple Insteon/ISY26 setup for about 5 years. Only a couple issues: I recently fried a dimmer when a bulb blew (talk about an annoying design flaw!). Also, I received a new thermostat controller in the recall. The ISY26 will query it but it won't drive it, and from what I've read it's likely due to the older (albeit current) 26 firmware.

So I plan to update to an ISY 99.

Everything is coming together for a system upgrade: we're putting a second floor on the house and completely revisiting the existing layout. I'll be adding a second thermostat controller upstairs, and probably a few more switches.

With my ISY26, I currently have an old PLM 2412S (various stickers say 3507, firm52, Rev 2.4, and 0725) and a pair of matching Access Points 2443 (0737, rev 1.0, 0714). As I say, other than the thermostat that will query but otherwise ignores commands, the system is working fine. I'd like to keep it that way.

What will I need to do beyond replacing my ISY 26 with a 99? Will it continue to work with the current PLM and APs?

thanks,

-jk

Hi jmwking,

I strongly recommend replacing your PLM as well. If you indeed have Access Points (not SignaLincs), those should be OK.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks. The Access Points say "Access Point" on the back, so I think that's what I have.

For my edification: What does the new PLM do differently?

-jk

The 2413S PLM is a Dual Band Device.

Has a faster memory and processor.

Depending on the age of your 2412S. Has more Link Database memory if your old one was 417 Links or less if yours had the >2000 Links. It has 1014 if memory serves me.

One thing it does not do is provide power to your ISY controller. Like the 2412S did. An external power supply is needed with a 2413S PLM.

Archived