New Elk M1 Installation suggestions

ejh3

Can I get a few suggestions on what else I might need to put together my alarm system.

Below is what I currently have in my job list:

1- ELK-M1GSYS4S (Includes Board, LCD Keypad, Enclosure, Battery, Transformer, Speaker and surge protector)

1- ELK-M1XRFTW Wireless Reciever

11-ELK-6021 Wireless Slimline Window Sensor

3- ELK-106063 Slimline Motion Detector

Universal Device ELK Module (is this necessary?)

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions,

Ed

The UD Elk module is a license upgrade to your ISY and is just a matter of paying the money and activating it. It's not a physical thing. But I suspect you will want it as it gives ISY essentially full access to everything on the Elk.

You will need an XEP. ISY and Elk can't talk without it. Elk can't talk to anything internet without it and you will have to plug a computer directly into the Elk board to program it.

Hard to know what else you might want since I know nothing about your house and what you want it to do. But my guess is that one keypad is going to be a bit deficient. But you may hold off and play around with using tablets as keypads as some of them are less than $100 now and with proper mounting hardware can make really slick keypads.

apostolakisl,

Thanks for your suggestion. I would consider this a small install, my house is just under 4k sq ft. I plan to use the slimline elk window contacts on

the 10 windows on the first floor and hardwire all the doors (I've done 3 of the 6 doors already).

Ed

Most folks would have at least 3 keypads in a house that size.

Master Bedroom

Front door

Back door

Other possible locations

Upstairs Hall

Family Room

Definitely concur with considering more keypad locations - I went with 3 in a 3k sq ft installation. The Master Bedroom keypad is a must! And if you do decide to go with 3 or more keypads, the Elk M1DBH M1 Databus Hub can simplify things, allowing you to wire your keypads with home-runs (star topology) rather than daisy-chaining.

Beyond that, I might recommend a larger panel to allow more room for the add-on modules mentioned, as well future expansion. The 14" model included with the kits fills up pretty quickly...

Here is an old discussion that says that the ITI Learn Mode sensors are compatible with the CADDX panels. Just FYI, no gurantees.

http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=15448.0

My understanding is that with the ELK-M1XRF2G Wireless Receiver you use the CADDX Crystal Based Transmitters (319.5 MHz?). Do a little more research to see if the ITI sensors transmit on the same wavelength. I believe the GE-ITI security RF protocol uses 319.5MHz, so should work but I've never confirmed.

Archived