A button to turn off all the lights

arw01

Like a bed time button.

Hit it twice fast so a fast off, I want to run a couple of scenes that turn off all the house lights.

Wondering if I have the concept down here before I embark, or if there is a smart way to do it.

since i cannot seem to have a scene be part of a scene

I need two scenes:

upstairs lights

basement lights

a program that looks for fast off on my kpl

when it sees fast off

it executes upstairs lights off

it executes downstairs lights off

Is that pretty much the gist of it?

I have one scene named Goodnight with all devices I want to turn off with various ramp rates etc., A program that runs true when I FastOn the kpl button by my bed. Works like a charm!

Not sure why you need an upstairs scene and a downstairs scene but you can run both scenes in a program, might want to use a Wait 2 or 3 seconds between them though.

I have one scene named Goodnight with all devices I want to turn off with various ramp rates etc., A program that runs true when I FastOn the kpl button by my bed. Works like a charm!

Not sure why you need an upstairs scene and a downstairs scene but you can run both scenes in a program, might want to use a Wait 2 or 3 seconds between them though.

Thank you for the encouragement. Would you mind sharing your program so I can dissect it a bit?

or you can create a third scene, that includes the devices of both scenes one and two, all as responders. Then you can do as you state: watch for a fast off, and have a program turn off scene three. This is, generally, how I handle the all lights scenerio.

My mix of devices are pretty varied by version, and I was concerned it would be a large burden to get all of the devices programmed if I did then in one scene only. To help with some strange communications issues, I have moved a couple access points around and ordered another one to fill in.

I noticed some switches in the basement didn't tend to take their programming until I moved an access point while working on a RL2, and they magically stopped being so stubborn.

My mix of devices are pretty varied by version, and I was concerned it would be a large burden to get all of the devices programmed if I did then in one scene only.

In my case, I have two global scenes: all lights interior, all lights exterior. Every device that I have falls into one of those two scenes. Of course, most of these devices fall into other scenes, as well.

The point that I make is that these are pretty large scenes (by my standards) including dozens of devices and nodes, with a pretty large range of type and version. I have never noticed any problems or adverse consequences.

Furthermore, having these scenes can, at times, be a help. In addition to using these scenes for "all on" and "all off", such scenes can be useful for troubleshooting (my original reason for creating them). Scene tests on these global scenes can act as a benchmark for system performance and an indicator if something has gone bad.

Large scenes should not pose a problem and in fact should alleviate problems. A mix of device types should also not be a problem. When a single activity (like a going to bed activity) puts all devices into a single scene, there is only a single Insteon command to run that activity. One command means less traffic which tends to reduce problems.

Thank you for the encouragement. Would you mind sharing your program so I can dissect it a bit?
Sure, The code is pretty simple ( I have removed some conditions which would be irrelevant here). Basically when the Off button on any of the 2 kpl's or 1 switchlinc are pressed Fast Off the program will beep the scene devices 2 times then turn off all the responders.

If
       And (
            Control 'Devices / MB Bed Lites' is switched Fast Off
         Or Control 'Devices / MB KPL1 1 Bed Lites' is switched Fast Off
         Or Control 'Devices / MB KPL2 1 Bed Lites' is switched Fast Off
       )
   And Control 'Devices / MB Bed Lites' is not switched On
   And Control 'Devices / MB Bed Lites' is not switched Off
   And Control 'Devices / MB Bed Lites' is not switched Fast On
   And Control 'Devices / MB Bed Lites' is not switched Fade Up
   And Control 'Devices / MB Bed Lites' is not switched Fade Down
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL1 1 Bed Lites' is not switched On
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL1 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Off
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL1 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Fast On
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL1 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Fade Up
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL1 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Fade Down
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL2 1 Bed Lites' is not switched On
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL2 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Off
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL2 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Fast On
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL2 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Fade Up
   And Control 'Devices / MB KPL2 1 Bed Lites' is not switched Fade Down

Then
       Wait  1 second
       Set Scene 'Scenes / Good Night' Beep
       Set Scene 'Scenes / Good Night' Beep
       Wait  1 second
       Set Scene 'Scenes / Good Night' Off

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Depending on communication issues you may want to add 1 or 2 second wait between the scenes in the Then section.

Also, the reason I turn the scene Off instead of On is because there are kpl buttons included in the scene that I want turned Off and my kpl’s are old school, not like the new ones that can be turned Off with an On.

Tim

Archived