INSTEON 240V Load Controller Normally Closed - Water Heater

KHLUDI

I got recommended to by INSTEON Load Controller Normally Closed for my Hot Water Heater. I want to be able to turn off when I am away from the house and turn on when I am back from work or back from vacation. However, I am confused about LED lights on the box and also the meaning of these LED lights. The CONTROLLER SWITCH "On" Green, "Off" Red and what is the Active Load Light? I linked this device with ISY994. I see that it is OFF. For the a while even though the Controller Switch is "Off", Red. But the Active Load Light is still lit up Green. Can anyone explains for the the meaning of these lights and the different combination of these lights?

Was I right buy INSTEON Load Controller Normally CLOSED Relay for my Water Heater or should I have bought the INSTEON Load Controller Normally OPEN Relay?

Thanks,

KL

Sounds like everything is working properly. The unit is normally closed so 'off' means 'closed' (the water heater has power). To turn off the water heater send it an 'on' which will 'open' the relay (break power to the water heater). Basically since its normally closed the commands are opposite of what you may fine intuitive but just swap on for off when you are away and off for on when you are home and it will be fine.

Manual here: http://www.insteon.net/pdf/2477SA.pdf The green light means the relay is closed (unit is on 'off' mode) and the load is drawing power (e.g. the water heater is on). If you send an 'on' you should see that led turn off.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, let me rephrase what you said to see if I understand.

So normally closed meaning that when the Top LED light is GREEN "on" when power to the water heater is cut off. Top LED light is RED "off" when power is flowing to the water heater. what about the Bottom LED light, Active Load? When will this be GREEN and when will it be RED?

Thanks,

KL

Sounds like everything is working properly. The unit is normally closed so 'off' means 'closed' (the water heater has power). To turn off the water heater send it an 'on' which will 'open' the relay (break power to the water heater). Basically since its normally closed the commands are opposite of what you may fine intuitive but just swap on for off when you are away and off for on when you are home and it will be fine.

Manual here: http://www.insteon.net/pdf/2477SA.pdf The green light means the relay is closed (unit is on 'off' mode) and the load is drawing power (e.g. the water heater is on). If you send an 'on' you should see that led turn off.

While the commands are opposite it looks like they did not swap the meaning of the lights (which is good). So the status LED will be green when power can flow to the water heater and red when it can not. The ActiveLoad light tells you when the water heater is actually drawing current (e.g. it presumably has a thermostat so while that is allowing the circuit to complete the light will be on, once the thermostat turns off the heater that light should turn off as well)

it does sound confusing. Let me know how that device works out for you and if you think it saves you enough money to make it worthwhile.

Personally I would buy the same unit you did, if I don't specifically have the device "on" I want the water heater to be able to work. I can see getting that backwards pretty easy.

I kept checking the Active Load LED Light. It seem to be GREEN a lot. Then it turned Off. Then turned GREEN again. I don't understand how can this work as a water heater timer, to save energy and money?

Thanks,

KL

While the commands are opposite it looks like they did not swap the meaning of the lights (which is good). So the status LED will be green when power can flow to the water heater and red when it can not. The ActiveLoad light tells you when the water heater is actually drawing current (e.g. it presumably has a thermostat so while that is allowing the circuit to complete the light will be on, once the thermostat turns off the heater that light should turn off as well)

"I kept checking the Active Load LED Light. It seem to be GREEN a lot. Then it turned Off. Then turned GREEN again. I don't understand how can this work as a water heater timer, to save energy and money?"

That just means your water heater is turning on/off as it should to heat the water. If you want to prevent it from heating at certain times you'll need to write an ISY program to open the relay during the times you want it off...

It is really weird. Even if I turn the Top Light (controller switch) on or off, Green or Red. The Bottom Light (Active Load) will be Green sometime and No Light sometime. Isn't the Bottom Light (Active Load) supposed to be off when I turn the Controller Switch off (Red), relay Open?

:x

"I kept checking the Active Load LED Light. It seem to be GREEN a lot. Then it turned Off. Then turned GREEN again. I don't understand how can this work as a water heater timer, to save energy and money?"

That just means your water heater is turning on/off as it should to heat the water. If you want to prevent it from heating at certain times you'll need to write an ISY program to open the relay during the times you want it off...

It is really weird. Even if I turn the Top Light (controller switch) on or off, Green or Red. The Bottom Light (Active Load) will be Green sometime and No Light sometime. Isn't the Bottom Light (Active Load) supposed to be off when I turn the Controller Switch off (Red), relay Open?

I am also under the belief the active load should be off when the switch is red. Did you install this yourself? Have you verified the wiring done?

I installed this myself. The wiring was very simple. 1 red, 1 black. What will happen if I wired the 2 load wires wrong. I doubt it.

I am also under the belief the active load should be off when the switch is red. Did you install this yourself? Have you verified the wiring done?

:P I am not too tech savvy hehe.. I can only follow instructions from the manual included with the device. I don't understand much to create my own test for this load controller normally closed.

Why don't you wire it up to a lamp or something simple and obvious like that. Then you can turn the relay on/off from ISY and the lamp on/off at it's own switch (which would be simulating the thermostat flipping on/off) and I think you'll soon figure it all out.

Archived