Electrical Wiring problem?

djones1415

Brian H,

My control is a ToggleLinc Relay ON/Off Switch (Non-Dimming) and Insteon advertizes that this switch is supposed to handle motors and CFLs. The motor is on the same circuit, but not controlled by the ToggleLinc.

An Access Point plugged into the same outlet as the clock radio and a SwitchLinc switch on the same circuit both operate without any problems whatsoever.

Mine are relays as well. The replacements function flawlessly in the same locations. Pretty sure these 2 togglincs are just duds. Almost think they fail due to the heat they create. Once they warm up the stop working. Even with no load at all.

OK I followed the thread and saw you had a ToggleLinc Relay.

The original post was a ToggleLinc Dimmer.

They could be bad or extra sensitive to power line noise.

Some CFL and LED bulbs can make power line noise.

You may want to contact the Insteon Gold Support Group and get their thoughts.

I see you have a post on the Smarthome Forums. They may have some added data for you.

Keep us informed to progress you are making.

Hi Xathros,

That is an interesting hypothesis. I just went and checked my ToggleLinc (it is not mounted in the wall, so I was able to remove the side panel of the switch box), and it did not feel warm to the touch. I appreciate your helpful suggestions.

Hey Brian H,

I am new at this forum and just catching on to some of the nuances of posting. I did not notice that the original problem was for a dimmable switch, otherwise I would have been clearer in my posting. From now on, I will do as you suggest and start a new topic if there is any chance that my posting is a unique issue. I appreciate your assistance and suggestions.

I thought I already replied to your post Brian H, but I don't see it anywhere. I must be getting daft :? in my old age.

I did not look on your message as lecturing and I appreciate your input into my problem. I read about noise in the manual -- my ToggleLinc must be extremely over-sensitive to noise or there is some other problem.

I have accumulated all of the information I can about my problem and have sent an email message to Insteon Support. I'll post the results in this topic whenever the problem is resolved.

Did anyone ever determine the cause of this problem with a ToggleLinc shutting down after three days? I am experiencing the exact same thing on a ToggleLinc Relay 2466S.

Kram.

Original poster here: No I never determined the cause of this problem. The switch I was having trouble worked for several weeks in a row before it failed again. I reset using the air gap, and it worked again for a long time. Recently, I have again begun experiencing problems similar to this with other switches...but without the 3 day regularity I had when this first started.

Please keep us posted if you get any information from Smarthome.

Thank you for your follow-up, djones1415.

Since my most recent posting, my ToggleLinc Relay locked up again after 4 days, this time with none of the supposed noise sources in place. I have sent an email to Insteon Support. Whenever this is resolved, I will post a follow-up message.

Archived