Return light to full?

WetCoastWillie

Hi,

I'm just getting started.... have read the Wiki's.... tried all I know (not much) but could not find my answer.

I have an open concept main floor with the kitchen Island and main living area adjacent each other, I have a single dimmer on the Kitchen Island Lights, and a single dimmer and button "B" on a 8 button keypad for the living area lights.

What I am trying to accomplish is... if the kitchen lights are on - and someone turns on the living room lights they only go on to 50 %.... I am using the program below and it seems to work fine.

If

Status 'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' is not Off

Then

In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 50% (On Level)

In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light (B)' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 50% (On Level)

Else

In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 100% (On Level)

In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light (B)' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 100% (On Level)

Here is what I'm having trouble with, when someone turns off the kitchen light (edit) and the living room lights are on at 50% (/edit), I want the living room light to go to full brightness.

I have tried several program variations but none do what I want for the "return to full bright".

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

WetCoastWillie

Also note the Adjust Scene statements do not physically change the On Level of the devices. If already On at 50%, the Adjust Scene to 100% means the next time the switch is pressed it turns On to 100%.

Another Program that tests for the switch being On at 50% and changes it to 100% On is needed to physically affect the On Level without manually operating the switch. The additional Program can be invoked from the current example.

Here is what I'm having trouble with, when someone turns off the kitchen light I want the living room light to go to full brightness.

To be clear...when someone turns off the kitchen lights (regardless of whether the living room lights are on or off or anywhere in between), you want the living room lights to turn on to full, correct?

Here is what I'm having trouble with, when someone turns off the kitchen light I want the living room light to go to full brightness.

To be clear...when someone turns off the kitchen lights (regardless of whether the living room lights are on or off or anywhere in between), you want the living room lights to turn on to full, correct?

Nope - Sorry... what I meant to say was, If the living room lights have been turned on at 50% because the kitchen lights were on - then, when the kitchen lights are turned off and the living room lights are still on at 50% - turn the living room light up to full bright.

WetCoastWillie

Also note the Adjust Scene statements do not physically change the On Level of the devices. If already On at 50%, the Adjust Scene to 100% means the next time the switch is pressed it turns On to 100%.

Yes I do understand that the program above only adjusts the scene.... if the kitchen lights are on then set the living room scene to (if turned on) only go on at 50 %, if the kitchen lights are off then set the scene to (if turned on) turn on at 100%, and the first half of what I want is working... If someone turns on the LR switch or hits button "B" when the kitchen light is on - the LR lights only go on to 50 % - if the same is done with the Kitchen lights off the LR goes on at 100%.

Another Program that tests for the switch being On at 50% and changes it to 100% On is needed to physically affect the On Level without manually operating the switch. The additional Program can be invoked from the current example.

This is where I'm having the trouble... I cant figure out how to write the program that (a) knows that the LR lights have been turned on at 50% because the kitchen lights where on. (B) monitors the kitchen light for someone turning it off. © if LR is still on at 50% (no-one has turned it off) then turn up to 100% when the kitchen light off occurs.

Everything I have tried either does not brighten them at all - or will turn them on 100% every time I try to turn them off.

Thanks.

Matt

Nope - Sorry... what I meant to say was, If the living room lights have been turned on at 50% because the kitchen lights were on - then, when the kitchen lights are turned off and the living room lights are still on at 50% - turn the living room light up to full bright.

I don't mean to overly stress these types of questions, but I think it worth spending time thinking through how you intend this sytem to work. Answers to these questions will affect how you program things, and you can waste a lot of time coming up with programs that you quickly discover "don't work" as you intended, because you didn't give enough attention to your "intentions". It is a lot like "ready, fire, aim".

What if the livingroom lights are at some setting other than 50% because someone manually adjusted them for some reason? what about 10%? 80%? 1%? Do you want the living room lights to go full on only if they at that magical 50% level, or any level greater than zero? Or any level greater than 50%? Most of the program suggestions so far are based on the first option.

I cant figure out how to write the program that (a) knows that the LR lights have been turned on at 50% because the kitchen lights where on.

OK...you bring up another consideration...do you want the livingroom lights to respond to kitchen lights only if they are at 50% AND only if they reached that state in response to the kitchen lights turning on? Or do you not care how the livingroom lights came to be on, whether manually or in response to a program?

There are a variety of conditions one can use to check for such things, but one condition that does NOT exist is "scene status". There is not status for any scene, such as your livingroom scene. Typically, one would have to check for the status of a selected device within that scene as a representative status.

Another condition that could prove to be handy here is in program status (true or false). This represents the results of the most recent evaluation of a given program. For example, if you have a program who's else statement turns on livingroom lights as a result of kitchen lights, if that program status is currently "true", then you know that the most recent execution of that program turned on the livingroom lights.

I believe it worth spending more time understanding your needs and intentions before writing a lot of programs. Your particular situation is, in my mind, has a lot of subtle variations.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have this... thanks for the input.

What I wanted was... if the LR light was on and someone turned on the nearby Kitchen Island light, it would only go on at half bright, and vice versa. Then, if the "full on" light was tuned off, the "half on" light would return to full bright.

It appears as though I have accomplished this with the following 4 programs.

Kitchen Level:

If
       Status  'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light (B)' is not Off
    Or Status  'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' is not Off

Then
       In Scene 'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' Set 'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' 50% (On Level)

Else
       In Scene 'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' Set 'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' 100% (On Level)

Kitchen Return:

If
       Program 'Kitchen Level' is True
   And Status  'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' is not Off
   And (
            Control 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light (B)' is switched Off
         Or Control 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' is switched Off
       )

Then
       Set 'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' On

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

LR Level:

If
       Status  'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' is not Off

Then
       In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 50% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light (B)' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 50% (On Level)

Else
       In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 100% (On Level)
       In Scene 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light (B)' Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' 100% (On Level)

LR Return:

If
       Program 'LR Level' is True
   And (
            Status  'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' is not Off
         Or Status  'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light (B)' is not Off
       )
   And Control 'Kitchen Island / Kitchen Island Pot Lights' is switched Off

Then
       Set 'Living Room Pot Lights / Living Room Light' On

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Archived