ISY99I Firmware update issue (3.3.10)

SJC85284

I remotely updated my ISY99i to the latest firmware 3.3.10. (I usually do a local one, but I thought I would try this since I had a good connection and was away from the house). The ISY99i was at the beta release before and I figure that I go to the official release. It asked me to do a back up, I did and that worked fine. It then udpated the firmware and it completed successfully and rebooted. Now I can't access it at all. I cleared my java cache and I tried a power cycle but only the main power LED comes on, nothing else flashes. Did the firmware update go bad? Not sure what the next steps are to get it back working.

yes, only the PWR LED is on, but during a power cycle the other LEDs Flash a little and go off. This time none do. The IP address shouldn't have changed since it was just a firmware update and I have it setup as a static IP. I've performed firmware udpates locally before without issue. I'm just thinking that during the remote update something got messed up and the firmware on the system is corrupted. Don't know if I should do a factory reset and restore, replace/reformat the SD card, etc. I'm remote from the device for a few days, so can't do any local troubleshooting. Just trying to understand what state it is in, how it might have gotten this way, and how to I get it back to normal working mode.

I don't think any corrective action should be tried until the ISY is observed locally. Besides if you cannot contact it remotely what action could be taken. It is hard to develop an action plan without knowing the current conditions, more than it cannot be accessed remotely. For all that is known now is it could be accessed locally. It is all specutation at this point.

I just want to know what to do when I get there to restore it. I'm sure it's corrupted since it has always worked with the beta version of the firmware worked fine. It was just when I updated it to the release version and did it remotely is when it stopped working. Also, wondering if anyone else had this issue with remote firmwar updates and what the fix was.

I had horrible problems with my iSY's not rebooting but coming up properly when I reset the power. Same symptom only the one blue light was on. UDI had me turn off Internet Access (that sets the UPnP in the router) and the ISY's that were troublesome are working fine now.

I suspect you are hitting the same bug. If it comes right up after a power cycle I'd be almost positive. This happened to me quite a bit lately. You can still have internet access to the unit, just manually setup forwarding rules in your router.

thanks for the info. the fact that it worked fine before and then doesn't seem to work after a firmware update is strange. I was using 3.3.10 beta and upgraded to the release which from what I read is identical. The other unusal thing is that the tx and rx lights always flash when it powers up normally and now it doesn't...the only light that comes on is the blue power light. (I had somone go to my house and power cycle it and tell me what happened). I guess I may have to wait till I get to it locally to do some more trouble shooting. Still looking for the restore/reset process in case it's corrupt...do I preform a SD card reformat/replace, update firmware, and restore my backup? I want to have a plan to do a restore in case I can't access it.

I think we should wait until UDI goes over this topic later tonight or tomorrow. Can also open a ticket but not sure that will get any faster response on the weekend. Once on 3.3.10 (RC7) Beta, that is the Official release. I don't know the implications of installing 3.3.10 on top of 3.3.10. Never tried that before. There are some activities that happened when going to 3.3.10 initially. Not sure the implications of making those updates on top of the same updates. Not something that is normally done so any issues may not be known.

I just checked the electric usage at the house for yesterday and I know the ISY99i is not working. None of my lights got turned on since the electricty level for the times they turn on are way down. So, I most likely have a bad firmware upload. Just need to understand the process to fix/restore it.

Understand. I do not know what the recover procedure should be because I do not know what is actually wrong with the ISY. If you cannot ping it you cannot telnet into it to format the SD card and I don't think the card needs formatting anyway. This may be one of the very few times an ISY factory reset is appropriate but I don’t know that for sure. Did you open a Ticket with UDI support?

I don't think the firmware version is the issue. I suspect since I did a remote (and not local) update something could have gotten corrupted along the way and put the ISY99i is a weird or bad state and I need to do a factory reset or SD card reformat and restore, Just trying to figure out what the procesure is. Tech support did respond to my ticket, but it a slow process explaining everthing..back and forth on emails.

I don't think re-flashing 3.3.10 on top of 3.3.10 would have any downside. I considered doing it myself last week but realizing there was not difference from when it was called RC7, I just removed "Beta RC7" from my signature instead...

There have been many posts from people whose ISY's did not reboot after a firmware upgrade and required a power cycle. I would be surprised if it needed anything more than that. Mine has never done that but I don't use UPNP or DHCP for my ISY so that may have saved me from this issue.

My ISY has only locked up twice that I can recall (once last week) but I attribute both to PLM problems.

-Xathros

Archived