SOAP Command in HTML

d_gatorfan

I have not purchased and ISY yet, but I am planning to soon. I have quite a few INSTEON devices and would like to get a central control system. Part of that would be integrating my home theater system. To that end I am close to figuring out how to control my SONY STR-DA5500ES receiver via IP.

For testing I am trying to write a simple html page with an on/off button and volume up/down.

I have been able to turn the device on and off successfully via IP by using a uPnP developer tool to write the appropriate code to the device.

I was able to use wireshark to capture the network traffic (a SOAP command) which is below.

The CISDATA parameter is the appropriate control code from list of commands (volume/up/down on/off etc).

At the bottom is the javascript function I ended up with to try to generate that SOAP command.

The HTML code does not seem that complicated, but I am at a loss to get it working.

Is there an easier method? I have little to no HTML programming experience - so it may be something simple I am missing.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

POST /upnp/control/CIS HTTP/1.1
HOST: 192.168.0.100:8888
SOAPACTION: "urn:schemas-sony-com:service:X_CIS:1#X_CIS_Command"
CONTENT-TYPE: text/xml; charset="utf-8"
Content-Length: 344

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

0202A0213D

Here is the JavaScript Function I came up with :

function soap() {
   var objXMLHttpRequest = new XMLHttpRequest();
   objXMLHttpRequest.open("POST", "http://192.168.0.100:8888/upnp/control/CIS ", true); 

// build SOAP request

var packet = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>'+
	''+
		''+
			''+
				'0202A0213D'+
			''+
		''+
	'';

// set SOAP headers
objXMLHttpRequest.setRequestHeader("SOAPACTION", "urn:schemas-sony-com:serviceId:X_CIS:1#X_CIS_Command");
objXMLHttpRequest.setRequestHeader("CONTENT-TYPE",  "text/xml; charset=utf-8");

// send SOAP request
objXMLHttpRequest.send(packet);

}

As I pasted the function, i get this error message. It doesn't actually send a POST command but an OPTION command.

Request URL:
http://192.168.0.100:8888/upnp/control/CIS
Request Method: OPTIONS
Status Code: HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed

Request Headers
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0Pragma:no-cacheOrigin:nullHost:192.168.0.100:8888Connection:keep-aliveCache-Control:no-cacheAccess-Control-Request-Method:POSTAccess-Control-Request-Headers:content-type,soapactionAccept-Language:en-US,en;q=0.5Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflateAccept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

Response Headers
X-AV-Server-Info:av=5.0; hn="";
cn="Sony Corporation";
mn="STR-DA5500ES";
mv="1.0";
Server:Trimedia pSOS+/NDK4.3 UPnP/1.0 MediabolicUPnP/-20110626.103844Content-Type:text/html;
charset=utf-8Connection:close

If I comment out the SetRequestHeader commands, it gives me a different error but actually sends a post command. It just doesn't have the headers that the working post command from the uPnP tool does.

http://192.168.0.100:8888/upnp/control/CIS
   Request Method: POST
   Status Code: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

Request Headers
   User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64;rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0Pragma:no-cacheOrigin:nullHost:192.168.0.100:8888Content-Type:text/plain; charset=UTF-8Content-Length:303Connection:keep-aliveCache-Control:no-cacheAccept-Language:en-US,en;q=0.5Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflateAccept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

Response Headers
X-AV-Server-Info:av=5.0; hn="";
cn="Sony Corporation";
mn="STR-DA5500ES";
mv="1.0";Server:Trimedia pSOS+/NDK4.3 UPnP/1.0 MediabolicUPnP/-20110626.103844Content-Type:text/html;
charset=utf-8Connection:close

My best guess is there is something wrong with the objXMLHttpRequest.setRequestHeader commands.

Thanks so much for taking a look.

Dennis

With the function as shown above traffic does not show a POST command, but switches to an OPTIONS command with a mention of POST in the header.

OPTIONS /upnp/control/CIS HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.100:8888
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Origin: null
Access-Control-Request-Method: POST
Access-Control-Request-Headers: content-type,soapaction
Connection: keep-alive
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache

This is the response :

HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed
Server: Trimedia pSOS+/NDK4.3 UPnP/1.0 MediabolicUPnP/-20110626.103844
X-AV-Server-Info: av=5.0; hn=""; cn="Sony Corporation"; mn="STR-DA5500ES"; mv="1.0";
Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Connection: close

If I comment out the two setRequestHeader functions I get this network traffic that returns a bad request error.

POST /upnp/control/CIS HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.100:8888
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Content-Length: 303
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Origin: null
Connection: keep-alive
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>0202A0213D

This is the error i get

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: Trimedia pSOS+/NDK4.3 UPnP/1.0 MediabolicUPnP/-20110626.103844
X-AV-Server-Info: av=5.0; hn=""; cn="Sony Corporation"; mn="STR-DA5500ES"; mv="1.0";
Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Connection: close

I think i have found the problem. According to the document below, since I am sending an xml payload and setting custom headers, the request is "preflighted". This apparently means it sends an OPTIONS request to make sure that the request is safe to send. My receiver is responding with an error to the preflight so the actual request is not getting sent.

Is there any way around this - or can I just not use a browser to send this command?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTTP/Access_control_CORS?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=HTTP_access_control

Preflighted requests

Unlike simple requests (discussed above), "preflighted" requests first send an HTTP OPTIONS request header to the resource on the other domain, in order to determine whether the actual request is safe to send. Cross-site requests are preflighted like this since they may have implications to user data. In particular, a request is preflighted if:

It uses methods other than GET or POST. Also, if POST is used to send request data with a Content-Type other than application/x-www-form-urlencoded, multipart/form-data, or text/plain, e.g. if the POST request sends an XML payload to the server using application/xml or text/xml, then the request is preflighted.

It sets custom headers in the request (e.g. the request uses a header such as X-PINGOTHER)

I found a tutorial on writing android apps and was able to muddle my way through it.

Amazingly it works!!! It is amazing what you can learn from Google.

Thanks for your help on this, especially since I don't even own your product - great customer service for a soon to be customer!

Dennis

Archived