SwitchLinc Rleays turning on by themselves

bsobel

Are there any documented bugs in the older Switchlinc Relays (v.28) that would explain a number of them starting to turn on by themselves at random times? These are units are not being activated by another scene or program. That just occasionally spontaneously activate (could be insteon com happening at the time, just not directed at the switch). I had 3 tied into a scene for my backyard porch lights that did this (took forever to figure out, wasn't until I delinked all of them and started tracking them individually was it clear this was happening).

Its not just the relay firing, they act as controllers when this happens and send a scene on to devices they are linked to. Factory resetting and then restoring the devices seems to 'cure' the behaviour (for how long unknown). Last night an unrelated exhaust fan switch started doing the same thing, so was wondering if like the Switchlink v.35's there are known problems here.

V35 SwitchLincs have been a problem. I thought it was limited to Dimmer but Relay may also have the issue. For the SwitchLinc to be functioning as a Controller (turning On its linked Responders) the activity has to be initiated by the SwitchLinc. There is no Direct or Scene command that instructs a device to be a Controller and turn On its Responders.

Hello Bill,

The V.35 Switchlincs are know problem units. Search for "V35" on the forum. SH had been replacing these for a period of time.

I'm not aware of any issues with the V.28 relay units. I have 6 of the Icon 2876S that have not given me troubles.

When you indicated that your devices are activating linked scene devices, do they show up as a "control" on in the event monitor or a "status" event. There was a post from Illusion some time ago related to "control" events being logged:http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5253&hilit=ghost. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing.

Beyond the above, I have seen switches "fooled" into turning on by local spikes in the AC waveform. I had a fluorescent lamp (controlled by a standard switch) which would spike the line and turn on my Leviton bath fan timer. Neither of these had any communicating capabilities. This was strictly powerline spiking causing the issue. I replaced the fluorescent fixture (cheaper than installing a filter) and all has been well.

IM

During one of our last storms.

My power was flickering from time to time.

2:00AM in the morning. There must have been some sort of power glitch.

Both of my v.28 SwitchLinc Relays turned On and an ApplianceLinc that one of them is a controller for.

So they can be power line noise effected.

Archived