Where to go from ISY99i

aaronb

I am a long time and happy owner of the ISY99i IR PRO. Since I cannot expect future updates on this device, I am willing to invest in the right product to take its place. The website describes the ISY994i as a residential product and the ISY994i Z as commercial. There are variations within (i.e. IR, PRO).

I currently have about 40 insteon devices and use the climate, network and elk modules. While I have IR capabilities, I have never used that feature.

Are there future plans to use the Zigbee capabilities of the ISY994i Z beyond the current energy monitors?

Which device would you suggest?

I think part of the decision is what locks, thermostats etc are you thinking of using coming up? Zigbee is still pretty new, and a lot of products are yet on the production designers desk. There was a thread that mentioned a Yale lock that would support Zigbee in the fall, but currently there is not a lot of support in Zigbee.

If you went Zwave, you could pick up a greeneye monitor and go the IP route, UDI mentioned they were planning on support for the greeneye.

Alan

aaronb

One of the nice things about the ISY is it is field upgradable. IR, Pro and the two Radio options can be added later. I think it is better to start with the Pro to avoid running into any of the limits of the non-Pro version. Not much more expensive considering the investment in Insteon. The IR and either Radio option (ZigBee or ZWave) can be added later.

Archived