ceiling fan question

buffyandsneaky

Hello, and warning, I am a bit of a newbie to the Insteon and ISY, but a bit of a closeted geek...

All the ceiling fans in my house currently have the power "split" with a dimmer switch (the ugly knob kind) as well as a fan rheostat (again the ugly knob kind), and one ceiling fan (in the family room) has this setup as well as an additional fan on/off switch, so a fan 3-way setup. Another fan (sunroom) has a 3-way dimmer knob as well as a 3-way switch at the opposite end of the room to control the lighting, again has the fan rheostat at one side only.

I would like to phase in, in stages, the removal of all these existing "knobs", but looking at what is available from Insteon for ceiling fan control appears to assume existing wiring is not already split between fan and light function. I also like the idea I saw on another forum regarding using a keypad linc for programming "on" time via the ISY for waking up to get to work... I'm open for ideas.

After some problems with the initial setup with my ISY's sd card (thank you Michel for fixing), I managed to get the 2 "scenes" wired in and working for my mother to operate two different lights so she has less chance of falling. She now has the ability to turn them on or off via Mobilinc and an ipod touch that I have all set up for her. So despite the fact that I got these two separate circuits working ok, I'm still scratchin my head on trying to figure out what to do next.

thanks!

Kathi

For fan control, check into the fanlinc for installation into the fixture location and a six-button keypad for control puropses. At the switch and fixture locations, you will require only hot and neutral. The fan/light will connect directly to the fanlinc. The bad news is that you will require only a single box location in place of your current two.

The bad news is that you will require only a single box location in place of your current two.

That's NOT bad news. It's actually GOOD news. It gives an extra box to install a remote SwitchLinc or KeyPadLinc.

Question about the fanlinc ... are there any specs or info about ceiling fans that I should look for to ensure compatibility?? The fanlinc documentation just says "works with most fans. I have a fanlinc unit at home, waiting to be used. I'd hate to buy/install a fan only to find it doesn't work.

I would have to assume that fans with DC motors won't be compatible. Anything else?

Thanks,

Ken-

Generally speaking, Any ceiling fan that uses a 3 speed pullchain switch should work just fine. Some remote control models will work if you replace the remote receiver with the fanlinc. Any 120V single speed ceiling fan should work. All of the above is assuming that the total motor amperage is within the fanlinc specs.

-Xathros

Question about the fanlinc ... are there any specs or info about ceiling fans that I should look for to ensure compatibility?? The fanlinc documentation just says "works with most fans. I have a fanlinc unit at home, waiting to be used. I'd hate to buy/install a fan only to find it doesn't work.

I would have to assume that fans with DC motors won't be compatible. Anything else?

Thanks,

As was posted look for fans that are pull chain operated. Those with remotes (like the nicer Casablanca fans) have the controls built into the motor and can't be converted (at least not easily and with lots of electrical knowledge). Basically you want a the type of fan that works with what you already have, an external speed and light control not a fancy remote control.

Thanks folks,

I think between this feedback and a more through reading of the review comments for the fanlinc on Smarthome, I'm getting a pretty decent idea of the choices.

I am happy to say, I installed three FanLincs with KeyPads and all went well. Using the ISY it was easy to group the four buttons in radio mode and link the controls to the switches.

Now I need to order four more sets.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived