EZ Rain Wiring question

Candide

I am changing my sprinkler system to Insteon/ISY control. My system has 9 zones so I needed two EZ Rain controllers (v.28).

I am in process of hooking up all the valve controls to the EZ Rain controllers.

My system has a master valve which must be on for any other valve to work.

My questions are:

- How should the Master Valve be wired? Each EZ Rain controller only allows one relay (valve) at a time to be on.

If I wire the MV to zone one on Controller 1 and connect a jumper to zone 1 of Controller 2 will it cause any issues - having 24v on when the relay itself is off?

This way I can have MV-Zone-1 controller 1 On, while all the actual sprinkler zones are run from controller 2

and

MV-Zone-1 controller 2 On, while all the actual sprinkler zones are run from controller 1.

My main concern is the parallel connection fro the master valve.

Thanks in advance...

The Pump Control Zone (Master Valve) is Zone 8. Zones 1-7 control valves, Zone 8 controls the Master Valve. Running Zone 8 from each EZFlora to the Master Valve insures the valve is On when any Zone is On.

The ISY does not support setting the Pump Control option. The Simplehomenet Utility Suite (free download from Smartenit/Simplehomenet web site) must be used to set the Pump Control option. The SHN Utility requires a PLM as a powerline interface. If a spare is not available the ISY PLM can be connected to the serial port on a PC, temporarily used as the powerline interface for the SHN Utility. The SHN Utility makes no changes to the PLM.

The Pump Control Zone (Master Valve) is Zone 8. Zones 1-7 control valves, Zone 8 controls the Master Valve. Running Zone 8 from each EZFlora to the Master Valve insures the valve is On when any Zone is On.

The ISY does not support setting the Pump Control option. The Simplehomenet Utility Suite (free download from Smartenit/Simplehomenet web site) must be used to set the Pump Control option. The SHN Utility requires a PLM as a powerline interface. If a spare is not available the ISY PLM can be connected to the serial port on a PC, temporarily used as the powerline interface for the SHN Utility. The SHN Utility makes no changes to the PLM.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by "The ISY does not support setting the Pump Control option" - does that mean it should not be set in a program or that the ISY will not be able to work with an Master Valve? As it turns out I do have a second PLM. Is there any wiring documentation for a multiple EZRain - Master Valve setup?

If I hook up the Master Valve to zone 8 and wire it in parallel to the other ezrain it should be on, on either unit, whenever any other zone is on, correct?

The ISY does not have an Admin Console function that sets the Pump Control Enable/Disable option. The Pump Control Enabled option works fine with the ISY when it is set by the SHN Utility.

When Pump Control is Enabled the EZFlora automatically turns On Zone 8 whenever any Zone 1-7 is On.

There is nothing unique about wiring Zone 8 to the Master Valve. It is wired as any Zone to Value would be wired. Zone 8 from each EZFlora is connected to the Master Valve.

Whether a Zone on both EZFloras should be on at the same time is a matter of water supply capacity versus Zone requirement. Zones are often sized based on the water supply capacity. If a Zone on each EZFlora is turned On at the same time the capacity of the water supply could be exceeded.

The ISY does not have an Admin Console function that sets the Pump Control Enable/Disable option. The Pump Control Enabled option works fine with the ISY when it is set by the SHN Utility.

When Pump Control is Enabled the EZFlora automatically turns On Zone 8 whenever any Zone 1-7 is On.

There is nothing unique about wiring Zone 8 to the Master Valve. It is wired as any Zone to Value would be wired. Zone 8 from each EZFlora is connected to the Master Valve.

Whether a Zone on both EZFloras should be on at the same time is a matter of water supply capacity versus Zone requirement. Zones are often sized based on the water supply capacity. If a Zone on each EZFlora is turned On at the same time the capacity of the water supply could be exceeded.

Thanks again, I think I understand.

For now I'll just have zone 8 hooked to the master, wired to both controllers. Then when I want to turn on any "real" zone I will just turn on Zone 8 first, then turn on and off the other zones, turning zone 8 off at the very end. Having zone 8 on with other zones will not result in any more water being used as it is just the master valve.

Cannot do that. The EZFlora does not allow turning On more than one Zone On at a time. When Pump Control is Disabled (default) Zone 8 cannot be turned On with any other Zone. Turning any Zone On automatically turns Off any Zone that is On. When Pump Control is Enabled Zone 8 cannot be controlled at all. When Pump Control is Enabled the EZFlora turns On Zone 8 when any of the Zones 1-7 are turned On.

Cannot do that. The EZFlora does not allow turning On more than one Zone On at a time. When Pump Control is Disabled (default) Zone 8 cannot be turned On with any other Zone. Turning any Zone On automatically turns Off any Zone that is On. When Pump Control is Enabled Zone 8 cannot be controlled at all. When Pump Control is Enabled the EZFlora turns On Zone 8 when any of the Zones 1-7 are turned On.

I am guessing that Pump Control is not enabled, as I have not set it and these are brand new.

It would probably be a good idea to get the program you suggested and enable it.

What I had in mind, at least for the mean time, was this:

I have two controllers. Zone 8 is wired in parallel, for the master valve.

So I would turn on Zone 8 on unit one, then run through the zones on unit 2, then turn off zone 8 unit one.

Then I would turn on zone 8 on unit 2, run through all the zones on unit 1, then turn off zone 8 on unit 2.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a master valve as well. Lee - you indicate above that "the SHN Utility requires a PLM as a powerline interface" in order to change the master valve default setting. Can I use a SmartLinc as the interface to the EZRain in order to change the default for the master valve? I upgraded a year ago from SmartLinc to ISY and don't otherwise use the SmartLinc. That way I can avoid buying another PLM.

Also, once I get the master valve default changed, can I control the EZ Rain through my ISY? I suspect I need to purchase a new module, correct? I would like to have one interface to my home automation...

Thanks.

paauto

Sorry, the SmartLinc is not supported as the powerline interface. The SHN Utility makes no changes to the PLM so if you have a Serial port the ISY PLM can be temporarily connected to the PC and use it as the powerline interface.

I believe you will need a new EZFlora with v28 firmware to control with the ISY.

No. There is a ISY Irrigation Module which estimates the amount of water needed for irrigation. The Irrigation Module requires the ISY Weatherbug Module for weather data. However, neither of these ISY modules is required for the ISY to physically support the EZRain/EZFlora device as far as turning On/Off EZRain/EZFlora Zones under ISY Program control.

About to pull the trigger on purchasing the EZFlora. Before doing so, I want to confirm a few things:

1. Are the individual sprinkler zones similar to scenes that I can simply turn on and off using my ISY and/or a KeyPadLinc?

2. Further, can I then create programs in the ISY to turn the irrigation system on at predetermined times for predetermined lengths - e.g. at 7 AM every other day, start with zone 1 for 5 minutes, then zone 2 for 3 minutes, etc.?

The reason I ask is the manual for the EZFlora is a bit confusing, indicating that the timer function is resident within the EZFlora. All I really want the EZFlora to do is serve as the switch to turn the zones on and off, with the intelligence (e.g. irrigation schedule) residing on the ISY. Also, I want to put an 8 switch KeyPadLinc next to the EZFlora so I can manually switch on zones and/or start a program sequence.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
About to pull the trigger on purchasing the EZFlora. Before doing so, I want to confirm a few things:

1. Are the individual sprinkler zones similar to scenes that I can simply turn on and off using my ISY and/or a KeyPadLinc?

2. Further, can I then create programs in the ISY to turn the irrigation system on at predetermined times for predetermined lengths - e.g. at 7 AM every other day, start with zone 1 for 5 minutes, then zone 2 for 3 minutes, etc.?

The reason I ask is the manual for the EZFlora is a bit confusing, indicating that the timer function is resident within the EZFlora. All I really want the EZFlora to do is serve as the switch to turn the zones on and off, with the intelligence (e.g. irrigation schedule) residing on the ISY. Also, I want to put an 8 switch KeyPadLinc next to the EZFlora so I can manually switch on zones and/or start a program sequence.

Thanks.

Sorry for delayed response, but yes - you will see 8 indfividual devices in the EZRain controller. As Lee G said Zone 8 is for the Master Valve. I have two units to cover my 9 sprinkler zones.

I ended up creating a program for each independent sprinkler zone. The program is simply 2 lines - for the Then and Else, as shown below. This worked better for me than turning onthe master valve and them cycling through the other EZRain zones. My "control" programs set variables based on temperature, day (only run at most every other day) and rain. So far it is working well. Being able to control from a phone or tablet via Mobilinc Pro is super convenient.

The suffix F is front yard, B is back yard - but could be anything, A & B, 1 & 2, etc.

Example for Zone1:

If

- No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then

Set 'SpB- / SpB-zz Main Valve' On

Set 'SpF- / SpF-Zone 1' On

Else

Set 'SpF- / SpF-Zone 1' Off

Set 'SpB- / SpB-zz Main Valve' Off

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ISY 994 hooked up to two v.28 EZFlora controllers. My zones, master valves and programs are all working well.

I also purchased an "EZ Breakout" connector and want to hook it to a rain sensor.

I see the wiring diagram shows to use terminals 6 and 7, with a 4.7K ohm resistor jumping 6 to 2.

My question is - will this show up as an Insteon device? I have an existing rain sensor - when that signals the EZFlora how can I detect that on the ISY 994 to take whatever action I want to take?

Thanks...

"My question is - will this show up as an Insteon device?"

No. The ISY has no awareness of the rain sensor.

"I have an existing rain sensor - when that signals the EZFlora how can I detect that on the ISY 994 to take whatever action I want to take?"

It cannot be detected in the ISY.

The ezflora itself becomes disabled by the rain sensor if you configure it that way with the ezsuite from their software program. The ISY cannot program the ezflora directly as to maximum run times on the zone, if the value zone it is NOT a master you can use it turn on a sprinkler zone just like the other 7.

You COULD use an IO linc to get the rain sensor as a on or off value, maybe with a bit more electronics on the line as I am not sure how the io linc would handle the rain sensor's on or off without some experimenting. This would allow you use the state of the rain sensor in your custom program.

If you use the wiki to make up the calendar programs you can use those variables to every other day, every three days, every four days etc.

It is great being able to control the sprinklers from the phone, wife thought the front yard looked a little dry during a hot spell, so I told her to pull out her phone and turn them on then!

Alan

"My question is - will this show up as an Insteon device?"

No. The ISY has no awareness of the rain sensor.

"I have an existing rain sensor - when that signals the EZFlora how can I detect that on the ISY 994 to take whatever action I want to take?"

It cannot be detected in the ISY.

Thanks again. Your responses have been very helpful.

Archived