Java Problems & SSL Certificate Problems

smbaker

I am an new ISY-994i user, version 3.3.10.

Two specific questions:

1) I tried to bring the UI up in Internet explorer. If I click "Admin Console", all I get is window that says "please keep this window open". If I click Settings:Install Admin Console, then I get a box that says "Not Found". It does work on Firefox, so these are IE-specific problems. I don't particularly want to use any Java-based applications on my Firebox, as I try to keep that browser at least half-*** secure.

2) Bringing it up on firefox, the admin console is there (yea!). But then it brings up a "Security Warning" that says "ISY is currently configured with the default SSL certificate" which it makes sound very ominous. I can push a button which says "request/manage SSL certificates". This brings up a HTML document http://www.universal-devices.com/docs/I ... 0Guide.pdf that has the sorts of things I would expect to read about SSL certificates. However, the document and the UI on my 994 are hopelessly inconsistent. I don't see the drop down menu that's pictured. I can navigate to some network configuration settings dialog in the UI which has handy things like the IP address, but the dialog looks nothing like the one in the document. In particular, it has no buttons for server or client certificates. What am I doing wrong?

Finally, a general question:

3) Is there any hope for a UI that isn't java based? Every virus infection I've dealt with over the past decade has used Java as an infection vector. I'd rather not have that thing installed on any PC that I consider secure.

Hello smbaker,

1. No hope for Java-less ... we cannot have different applications for different platforms and, thus far, Java has proven to be the only semi-platform independent environment out there

2. (As per instructions in the PDF) You need to use the Dashboard to install certificates. You can find dashboard at http://isy.universal-devices.com/99i/dashboard.jnlp

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel, I missed that 'dashboard' was a different app than the admin console. Unfortunately, when I follow the link you provided for dashboard, download, and run it, all I get is a blue "not found" box followed by the "ISY Finder". This is the same behavior as what happens when I try to use Admin Console under Internet Explorer.

Should I be able to use the "Add" button to manually enter the IP address of the ISY? I've tried that, but still get the "Not Found" error.

I did turn off the firewall when I tried this, just in case.

MSE did quaranteen two files as 'security threats' when I installed Java. These were "andora.class" and "ontera.class".

Archived