2443-222 Microcontroller not Reporting Status

gwarthur

I just installed an Insteon 2443-222 micro on-off controller for a ceiling fan. It responds correctly to commands from my 994i and its sense wire correctly detects and responds to inputs from the mechanical SPST wall switch. However, when I operate the mechanical switch, even though the 2443-222's relay opens or closes in response to the mechanical switch locally being turned on or off, its state is not updated in the 994i's status display. Put another way, when I command it on or off from the 994i, it works and its state is correctly shown, But when I locally operate the wall fan switch, no state change is shown at the 994i. The 2443-222 is not telling the 994i that it was locally switched on or off.

I have unlinked the device, deleted it, reset it to factory defaults and relinked it. BTW, it would not link automatically; on both occasions, I had to link it using the New Insteon Device option by entering its address manually.

Does anyone have a theory why it is not talking to the 994i when it is locally operated? -gwarthur

I don't have one of these yet but according to the User Guide it has to be configured to function as a Controller. Was this done?

I definitely did not set it up as a controller, but I don't really have another device for it to control. I just need it to control the 994i. How do I do that?

I definitely did not set it up as a controller, but I don't really have another device for it to control. I just need it to control the 994i. How do I do that?

gwarthur - I use a 2443-222 to control my bathroom light fixture and its local status is always communicated to the ISY. After installing it, I also used the "New Insteon Device" option to link it to the ISY. Not because the automatic linking didn't work, but just because I wanted to try the "New Device" option. So our setups should be pretty similar.

Have you tried right-clicking on the device and choosing "Diagnostics->Show Device Links Table"? Then try clicking the "Compare" button to see if the device links table matches the ISY links table. If the ISY is not seeing the 2443-222 change states when it is manually switched, it seems like either you have a communication problem between the 2443 and the ISY, or the links table for the 2443 and the ISY are not correct.

gwarthur

My apologies, I only read the "Configure INSTEON Settings" "Make Micro Module a Controller" headings without reading the detail that was only doing a Set/Switch button link which obviously was not configuring the device.

FYI, when you change the text in an existing post I do not get notified of the text change. It was not until this morning that I read the new post text and looked at the User Guide detail description. Luckily Michel and others corrected my query that it is not necessary to configure the 2443 for it to function as a Controller.

Hi gwarthur,

It should work as is. Do you see any events in the event viewer?

With kind regards,

Michel

When I turn it on or off from the 994i, in the Event Viewer, I see an entry for each command (ST 255 and ST 0), but when I operate the fan switch locally, no events are shown.

Hi gwarthur,

Do you get status updates from your other INSTEON devices?

If you do not see any events whatsoever, then I suspect that you may have too many links in your PLM. Can you please go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table, click on the Start button, wait, and when completed, click on the Count button. How many links do you have?

If more than 800, then you might want to try File | Restore Modem (PLM) ... this might help as long as you don't really have that very many links.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi gwarthur,

Do you get status updates from your other INSTEON devices?

If you do not see any events whatsoever, then I suspect that you may have too many links in your PLM. Can you please go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table, click on the Start button, wait, and when completed, click on the Count button. How many links do you have?

If more than 800, then you might want to try File | Restore Modem (PLM) ... this might help as long as you don't really have that very many links.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michael, I was surprised to discover that some devices report status to the 994i and others don't. The PLM links table count was 243.

Michael, I was surprised to discover that some devices report status to the 994i and others don't. The PLM links table count was 243.[/quote

gwarthur-

It is necessary to run the PLM links count a few times and receive a consistent result. Any Insteon traffic during the count will produce a bad result (High or Low).

-Xathros

A link count of 243 is pretty low. How many devices are installed?

Xathros makes a good point. Any Insteon traffic reaching the PLM during the Show PLM Links Table will produce a false high/low count.

Suggest running a Restore Modem (PLM) and see if that restores the devices that are not sending status changes. If that does not resolve the situation run a Show Device Links Table against a device that is not reporting status change and do a Compare to see if any link records are missing from the device.

When multiple devices fail to report it is usually the PLM link table in question because it can affect multiple devices.

Not every Insteon device is capable of reporting local status changes. OutletLinc Relay, ApplianceLinc are the first two that come to mind. There are others that are Responder Only devices. Also communication problems can prevent state changes from reaching the PLM.

A link count of 243 is pretty low. How many devices are installed?

Xathros makes a good point. Any Insteon traffic reaching the PLM during the Show PLM Links Table will produce a false high/low count.

Suggest running a Restore Modem (PLM) and see if that restores the devices that are not sending status changes. If that does not resolve the situation run a Show Device Links Table against a device that is not reporting status change and do a Compare to see if any link records are missing from the device.

When multiple devices fail to report it is usually the PLM link table in question because it can affect multiple devices.

Not every Insteon device is capable of reporting local status changes. OutletLinc Relay, ApplianceLinc are the first two that come to mind. There are others that are Responder Only devices. Also communication problems can prevent state changes from reaching the PLM.

I have 36 Insteon devices, not including six disabled ApplianceLincs I use seasonally. PLM link count is down to 224 from 243 after performing a Restore PLM. (It is apparently relevant that I recently replaced my 99i with a 994i but did not know to perform a Restore PLM at that time). Will attempt a "Show Device Links Table against a device that is not reporting...", but I confess that I do not really understand what I will be doing or looking for.

When the Show Device Links Table completes the Compare button will be enabled (no longer grayed). Click Compare which compares the link information the ISY has stored internally against the information retrieved from the device. The Compare results with indicate link records that match, do not match. The very last record which starts with a 00 may be labeled a mismatch. So long as the last record both from the device and expected link record start with 00 that mismatch is okay.

Archived