Programming a FanLinc and KeypadLinc

mfranzel

In which case, you may be risking damage to your fanlinc by powering it from the KPL.  I would definitely be checking this out and ensuring that the KPL is NOT receiving power through the KPL.

The switch that is controlling the FanLinc is not a dimmer. It's just an on/off switch. The other KPL in the tabletop enclosure is a dimmer.

Well, I must have misunderstood.

I would, then, be checking scene definitions (checking all responders to all controllers) and double checking to be sure you have none unexpectedly triggered by any of the keypad buttons.

I am not sure that i can be much more specific unless I know how you intend to configure your keypads. One button for the light? One button for each fan speed? One button for off? Each speed button pressed turns the others off?

Well, I must have misunderstood.

I would, then, be checking scene definitions (checking all responders to all controllers) and double checking to be sure you have none unexpectedly triggered by any of the keypad buttons.

I am not sure that i can be much more specific unless I know how you intend to configure your keypads. One button for the light? One button for each fan speed? One button for off? Each speed button pressed turns the others off?

I have the "On" and "Off" buttons programmed to turn the light on and off. The other four buttons are programmed for the "Hi", "Med", "low" and "Off" fan speeds. The button are programmed The button are programmed as Non-Toggle(on). This program works just fine on KPL  in the tabletop enclosure. However, when I add the other KPL to the program with the same parameters is when I have the problems I mentioned in my original post.

I have the "On" and "Off" buttons programmed to turn the light on and off. The other four buttons are programmed for the "Hi", "Med", "low" and "Off" fan speeds. The button are programmed The button are programmed as Non-Toggle(on). This program works just fine on KPL  in the tabletop enclosure. However, when I add the other KPL to the program with the same parameters is when I have the problems I mentioned in my original post.

I should have said I have scenes rather than used the term "programmed". 

Ok. Then it sounds to me as if the scene definitions are wrong, most likely. My guess is that the responder levels are not quite right for some of the controllers in some of the scenes.

Remember, a scene can have multiple controller devices included, and responder levels can be different for each of the controllers. For a given scene, select one of the controllers and view the responder ON levels. Select another controller in that scene. Are the responder levels the same?

After thinking about what you said. I'm pretty sure the FanLinc is powered by one KPL in the wall and the FanLinc does not have uninterrupted power to it. That being the case is it possible to use the one KPL to control the power and then use both to control the fan?

If the KPL is an On/Off device, then it's OK to control power to the FanLinc using it and yes, you can use the secondary buttons for anything. If it's a dimmer, then you may destroy the KPL, FanLinc or both.

After thinking about what you said. I'm pretty sure the FanLinc is powered by one KPL in the wall and the FanLinc does not have uninterrupted power to it. That being the case is it possible to use the one KPL to control the power and then use both to control the fan?

Both the KPL in the wall and the fanlinc should have uninterrupted power.  Just cap the red wire from the KPL and power the fanlinc from the line in the KPL's box.  You create  a logical link between the KPL's and the fan/light nodes in the fanlinc to control both the light and the fan.  Both KPL's can be scene controllers for the fan and light.

-Xathros

Both the KPL in the wall and the fanlinc should have uninterrupted power.  Just cap the red wire from the KPL and power the fanlinc from the line in the KPL's box.  You create  a logical link between the KPL's and the fan/light nodes in the fanlinc to control both the light and the fan.  Both KPL's can be scene controllers for the fan and light.

-Xathros

Thank you very much Xathros!!

• 4 months later...

Is everything wired correctly, that is unswitched power to the FanLinc and the red KPL wire capped?

Create a scene for the light with the KPL On/Off pair as a controller.

Create a scene for each fan speed plus off and a scene for the lights. Include all four buttons of the KPL in each fan speed scene. Select one button as the controller of the scene and the other three as responders. Set the On-level of the controller to on and that of the responders to off. The Fan Off scenes has all buttons set to off. Add the appropriate Mini Remote button to each scene.

Describing how you want/are using the KPL and Mini Remote buttons would help.

An example would be 

SceneLights

KPL 6 button ONOFF - Controller

Mini Remote 4 Scene a button - Controller
FanLinc Lights - Responder 

SceneFanHigh

KPL 6 button A button - Controller

KPL 6 button B button - Responder 0% On Level

KPL 6 button C button - Responder 0% On Level   
KPL 6 button D button - Responder 0% On Level 

Mini Remote 4 Scene b button - Controller

FanLinc Fan High - Responder

SceneFanMed

KPL 6 button B button - Controller

KPL 6 button A button - Responder 0% On Level

KPL 6 button C button - Responder 0% On Level   
​KPL 6 button D button - Responder 0% On Level 

Mini Remote 4 Scene c button - Controller

FanLinc Fan Med - Responder

SceneFanLow

KPL 6 button C button - Controller

​KPL 6 button D button - Responder 0% On Level 

Mini Remote 4 Scene d button - Controller

FanLinc Fan Low - Responder

SceneFanOff

KPL 6 button D button - Controller

​KPL 6 button C button - Responder 0% On Level 

FanLinc Fan  Off - Responder

KPL secondary buttons set for non-toggle On mode.

Program

If Mini Remote button b is switched Off
Or Mini Remote button c is switched Off

Or Mini Remote button d is switched Off

Then

Set Scene 'SceneFanOff' On

Else

How it's currently setup I will not get into because it doesn't work and I've found on more than one occasion the lights on the keypad cycling between off/low/medium/high. Not that it was wrong or didn't update but a light such as Fan Low would turn on, then it would turn off a second later and the Fan Off light would turn on, over and over again until I would pull the air gap and unplug the ISY.

What I have

• ISY 994i
  • FANLINC - INSTEON 2475F CEILING FAN AND LIGHT CONTROLLER
  • KEYPADLINC - INSTEON 2487S 6-BUTTON SCENE CONTROL KEYPAD with the load wire capped off
  • FANLINC BUTTON KIT FOR KEYPADLINC
  • FANLINC - INSTEON 2475F CEILING FAN AND LIGHT CONTROLLER

What I want it to do:

• Mini Remote stays configured in 4 scene mode. See photo here: http://cache-m1.smarthome.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/3/2342-232_animatedbig.gif
    • First row of buttons (scene a) for Fan Linc light. Per the 4-scene configuration, pressing the left button should lower the speed of the fan, and the right button should increase the speed of the fan.
    • Second row of buttons (scene B) is for Fan Linc fan motor.  Per the 4-scene configuration, pressing the left button should dim the light, and the right button should brighten the light.
    • 3rd row of buttons (scene c) for some other unrelated light
    • 4th row of buttons (scene d) for some other unrelated light
  • When the fan speed is adjusted from the Mini Remote the KeypadLinc should indicate the new fan speed.
  • When the light is off, if the light is switched on from the Mini Remote the Keypad Linc should be updated to reflect this status
  • If the light is on and it becomes switched off from the Mini Remote (not sure if this is even possible or if it will stay "on" but dimmed at 0%) the KeyPad Linc should also be updated to show off.
  • When I get around to integrating this with the rest of my home, if the fan speed or light status is changed in the ISY through a program, etc, then the KeyPad Link should also be updated to show the current and correct status of the light and/or fan

You need some ISY,programs to cycle the FanLinc Fan through its 4 possible speed settings with a single Mini Remote Scene button.  Have you created those? 

The example Scenes happen to match the KPL buttons.  The Mini Remote buttons need to be removed (not added) to the example Scenes. 

Take your mini remote out of the scenes - but otherwise setup everything LeeG detailed.

Then - you need programs triggered with the control function of the MiniRemote like this (psudo-code):

If Control Mini B 'On' 

and Fan Off

Then SceneFanLow On

If Control Mini B 'On' 

and Fan Low

Then SceneFanMedium On

If Control Mini B 'On' 

and Fan Medium

Then SceneFanHigh On

If Control Mini B 'Off' 

and Fan High

Then SceneFanMedium On

If Control Mini B 'Off' 

and Fan Medium

Then SceneFanLow On

If Control Mini B 'Off' 

and Fan Low

Then SceneFanOff On

After this - your B button 'On' will increase your fan speed - and 'Off' will decrease - in both cases by turning the appropriate scene on. As each scene is turned ON, it will set the KPL buttons to be correct for the state.

• 2 months later...

I installed my first fanlinc this past weekend just in time for some warm days, and it's really nice! Specially in conjunction with a temperature sensor in the room in question. The KPL is almost superfluous at this point, I just need to fine-tune the set points at which the fan speed changes. Automation at its best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived