Irrigation Notification

jmed999

I'd like to set up an e-mail notification so that I get an e-mail of the ET, water def and irrigation req't. What time doe the ISY show yesterday's ET and yesterday's water def? Is it midnight? If so should I get the notification sent an 12:01 AM?

Thanks!

I set up a program to notify me of the ET, Yesterdays Water def, and the irrigation req at 12:01AM. When I woke up this morning I compared the e-mail numbers to the actual numbers. They were all 3 different. It had been raining before and after midnight but I think the numbers when I woke up and when the notification was sent should still match...shouldn't they?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tracking this for several days now. The notification I get at 12:01AM for ET, water def, and irr req are different from the admin console when I wake up.

I'm thinking something happens between 12:01 and when I wake up around 7AM that changes those parameters.

What could be changing? This has happened on several days when it hasn't rained and the irr system didn't run.

Thanks!

why don't you change the time of the notification to 6:00 am and see if they match better, what is magical about 12:00 midnight vs 6:00 in the morning?

Personally I run my sprinklers early am, one as early as 3:00 am and most others at 4:00 am.

They say wet grass over night can lead to extra grass diseases, but I have not seen mother nature decide oh, it's night so I cannot rain!

Alan

Nothing is magical about midnight. I was told the values change at midnight. I don't care when they change, I would just like to get a notification for those items right after the change happens. So when do these values change from one day to the next? If it's 12 midnight I'll set the notification for 12:01AM, if it's 2AM I'll set the notification for 2:01AM, if it's 4AM I'll set the notification for 4:01AM. So nothing is magical about midnight.

Anyone know when these values change from one day to the next?

Thanks!

PS. Maybe I could set up a program to get the values in a notification every 30 minutes for one night. This would tell me when they change :)

jmed999

Would the irrigation requirement not be expected to change over time?

An irrigation requirement at 12:01 AM would seem to have to be different from a requirement taken at 6 PM the same day. There have been 18 hours of heat, sun, wind, etc which logically would affect the irrigation requirement. Would one not use the current values at 6 PM (assuming irrigation is done at 6 PM) rather than a requirement pulled 18 hours before.

jmed999

Would the irrigation requirement not be expected to change over time?

An irrigation requirement at 12:01 AM would seem to have to be different from a requirement taken at 6 PM the same day. There have been 18 hours of heat, sun, wind, etc which logically would affect the irrigation requirement. Would one not use the current values at 6 PM (assuming irrigation is done at 6 PM) rather than a requirement pulled 18 hours before.

My understanding is that the calculations are run at midnight, then static until he next run the next midnight, with the only exception being running an 'irrigate complete' command subtracts the configured amount from the irrigation needed variable.

I've been asking for real time updated rain and et data to be applied to the irrigation requirement, but so far I've not seen any plan to integrate that.

Michael.

Too many Michaels's here :P

So, nightly calculation of irrigation requirement. Only gets decreased in between nightly calculations in response to 'irrigation complete' commands.

Goes up every night at midnight in response to prior days ETo. Goes down each night at midnight in response to prior days rain total.

Is this the correct current understanding?

There are so many other criteria - best to look at the other thread on it though.

To do what I need, I'm in the process of writing an external function to read the irrigation requirement and rain today (thru the API) to confirm that irrigation is still needed at 6pm - a full 18 hours after the calculation was done. I don't want the cycle to run if, for example, a storm blew thru earlier in the day. It sucks that I have to go external for this - hopefully we will eventually get first class variable handling in programs. It would be much easier to do something like:

If (irrigation_requirement - rain_today) > 0.5 then

Run irrigate (then)

Truly, is it not possible to expose two irrigation_requirement variables? One that was calculated at midnight - and a second one with a different name but that tracks ET during the day as well as rainfall to allow it's use at any point in the day as better read on needs later in the day? It would be reset back to the nightly calculation at midnight, with the other variables?

In response to the OPs question, since the irrigation variables are not really variables, its not possible (that I know) to trigger on them when they change. As far as I know. I just send an email at 4am and it seems to have the updated figure by then.

Also, you cannot just subtract rain from the irrigation equipment. You have to account for absorption. So if only 80% of rain gets absorbed, then a 0.5" rain will only subtract 0.4" from the requirement.

Michael.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

I think the problem you are having is the same as I always had before IM set me straight: ETo is not and instantaneous value; it's a sampling throughout a day and thus any usage of it at an instance-in-time (except when the next day begins) makes no sense and is probably a wrong value.

You are correct on all other counts.

jmed999, it happens at 12:00AM + the polling interval. So, if your WB polling interval is every 5 minutes, then it will be at 12:05. If every 15 minutes, then 12:15.

With kind regards,

Michel

jmed999, it happens at 12:00AM + the polling interval. So, if your WB polling interval is every 5 minutes, then it will be at 12:05. If every 15 minutes, then 12:15.

With kind regards,

Michel

Yeah the polling int is what was throwing me off. Thanks for the explanation!

Archived