Fanlinc and Remotelinc Question

jmed999

I just installed the fanlinc in the master bedroom ceiling fan. The fan power is controlled by a switchlinc.

I'm wanting to control the fan light and motor via a remotelinc 2. The remotelinc is setup as 8 scene toggle mode.

I can't figure out the best way to control the light and motor with the remotelinc. At first, I programmed 1 button to change a variable which sets the light on the fanlinc on and off. I then programmed the second button to change a variable which rotates through the fan's off, low, med, and high.

The problem with this is the switchlinc must be on for these programs to work. If the switchlinc is off the programs can't communicate with the fanlinc.

So what is the best way to control a fanlinc using a remotelinc when the power is controlled by a switchlinc? I would like to only use 1 button for the light and one button for the fan motor. Any suggestions???

Thanks for the help!

I have 3 switchlincs on that wall side by side. The faceplate is similar to this one (except mine is white)...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24532-334-PJ263A-SPL1_0__?productId=3366722&Ntt=3+gang+plate

So do I remove the switchlinc for the fan and make it hot all the time? If so, how do I make it so the wall doesn't look weird when going from 3 switches to two? Since the wall is cut for 3, I'm not sure how to go to 2 or what other options are available to go in that swichlinc's place (ie. keypadlinc, remotelinc, etc.). I guess I could just leave the switchlinc on all the time but not sure how practical that is.

Any suggestions to this problem?

Thanks!

At Lowes and Home Depot are wall plate combinations where one could create a three-gang plate with one blank.

I believe a better option would be to take advantage of the now-empty spot, including an insteon switch or keypad and add control for some whole-house scenes.

Or, you could leave the switchlinc in place, cap the red load wire, and link it to the fanlinc's light node.

-Xathros

At Lowes and Home Depot are wall plate combinations where one could create a three-gang plate with one blank.

I believe a better option would be to take advantage of the now-empty spot, including an insteon switch or keypad and add control for some whole-house scenes.

What would the insteon switch control? When you say keypad...are you talking about a keypadlinc? If so wouldn't that still have the same issue as the switchlinc?

Archived