Help with communication error (ISY994i and Insteon wall sw)

Hello all. I am fairly new to utilizing the ISY994i for home automation. I am using a variety of Insteon based modules and a ISY994i for control. I have not had a problem adding in new Insteon devices via the 994i. However, I recently replaced a socket based Insteon dimmer with a socket on/off Insteon device. I was able to add the Insteon on/off outlet. However, when I enable the socket switch through my Insteon Java console the lights plugged into the control unit will turn on but the 994i is unable to communicate with the insteon outlet to determine its state (on or off). The 994i console displays the message "cannot communicate with device, check communications". I have no idea how to fix this problem. If anyone has any ideas of things I can try please let me know. Is it possible the insteon device itself is faulty? Thanks!!

Thank you for the response! I have an Insteon OutletLinc On/Off Outlet, #2473SWH

Currently, I just have a lamp plugged into it. As I mentioned in my first post it is strange because I can turn the lamp on and off through my 994i, but the communication required to obtain on/off status doesn't work. I receive the comm error right after the lights physically turn on......thanks again for the help!

You had a 2454D SocketLinc Dimmer? I had a few of them but their reverting to 100% On after a power glitch. Had me return them for a refund.

What type bulbs are in the OutletLinc?

Some CFLs and LED bulbs can cause power line noise that sometimes effects communications.

You don't have the original Insteon Socket device in the lamp do you?

The dimmable OutletLincs are dual band and the on/off OutletLincs are powerline-only. So, my hunch is that you have a noisy load interfering with the powerline communication of the new outlets. Is the lamp using an incandescent bulb or a CFL or LED? What other loads are on the same circuit?

BriG,

You were correct about the noise issue. I had a set of halogen lights (each 0f 3 separate bulbs utilizes a small transformer) from Ikea plugged into the outlet. I replaced those with a simple 100 watt bulb from a small lamp. With the small lamp plugged in the status of the switch updates without any issues. However, I really need the halogen bulbs to work. They light up a set of wall mounted bookshelves. The book lights do not a switch on their own......

Do you know of any way to simply filter the lights of some noise before the plug enters in the Insteon on/off outlet?

Thanks!

Kenny

Do you know of any way to simply filter the lights of some noise before the plug enters in the Insteon on/off outlet?

I believe the lights, plugged into a filterlinc, plugged into the outletlinc, would work fine.

Archived