Vehicle detection and status

arw01

I have been watching the http://www.wirelesstag.net/ for the moisture sensors to come back into stock, and after a month I decided to call them up and ask.

For the record an improved version will arrive in September with a longer range radio and some improvements in the battery mounting as they were finding it separating over time.

I asked specifically and for several minutes, about the tag manager working WITHOUT talking to their servers. Apparently it will not, they have one client where they made a server for the clients own location, reprogrammed the stuff specifically for them and the client runs it totally internally. However, it's a windows blade server and quite expensive to do that service. They were concerned with people being able to steal their software that talks with the tags and went the locked down server route.

I expressed our concerns, as hobbyists, that they could just go away and the devices could become worthless. E.g. someone sues them into oblivion. No real meaningful conversation ensued from that line of questioning.

SO those of you that have these gateway devices, what have you found in playing with them? They have some sort of internal memory for up to 70 tag updates that are in quede for the cloud server, don't know if the rest interface is on the tag manager or the cloud, he didn't understand that question. If on the tag manager, then the question becomes does it still update when it gets full?

I may still go with their tags for the moisture sensor function alone. Be nice to bury a few of them in the yard for the sprinkler zones..

don't know if the rest interface is on the tag manager or the cloud
I emailed them a few questions a couple of weeks ago and found them to be pretty slow in response. I did ask them about having the Rest sent from the tag manager and not the cloud because I was interested in the fastest response possible, here was his reply:

"If you check the "call from tag manager" option in URL calling, the server will still have to load your setting from the database to construct the URL and other parameters, and then send it to the tag manager for it to call. Obviously tag manager does not have a storage to store all the URL settings."

So basically it sounds like if the cloud is down or they go down and out the unit is completely worthless.

Tim

Archived