HTML GUI - Too much to ask? :)

deeepdish

First and foremost I must say my ISY is by far the best supported piece of hardware I own and I can always count on the UD team for prompt, accurate and friendly advice.

Given the recent announcement of the plain jane html interface (which is cool), would it be 'too much' to ask to have an option to format that page for the Apple iPhone / iPod Touch? I've looked at the Apple Developper site and it seems that only a few extra directives can be added to the generated HTML code to accomplish the task. These include the way items are selected and buttons are handled. Given the market trends, this will be "the' mobile device of choice and getting the ISY to support it would be very cool. Might be a cheap (in wall / coffie table) touch screen intrerface. Many touch screens go for over $1000, here a basic iPod Touch goes for $300. Now if only someone could make an in-wall cradle ..

deeepdish,

Not at all and we do welcome any suggestions to make the HTML pages nicer to look at and use.

Mark,

Thanks SO very much. Very much looking forward to it.

With kind regards,

Michel

First and foremost I must say my ISY is by far the best supported piece of hardware I own and I can always count on the UD team for prompt, accurate and friendly advice.

Given the recent announcement of the plain jane html interface (which is cool), would it be 'too much' to ask to have an option to format that page for the Apple iPhone / iPod Touch? I've looked at the Apple Developper site and it seems that only a few extra directives can be added to the generated HTML code to accomplish the task. These include the way items are selected and buttons are handled. Given the market trends, this will be "the' mobile device of choice and getting the ISY to support it would be very cool. Might be a cheap (in wall / coffie table) touch screen intrerface. Many touch screens go for over $1000, here a basic iPod Touch goes for $300. Now if only someone could make an in-wall cradle ..

I would really appreciate this feature as well. It would be nice to have it based on the floor plan so you could navigate through the menus Downstairs>Living Room>Overhead lights>

I love the ISY and I love my iPhone, this would be the ultimate combination.

Hello deeepdish,

Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone but I suspect, like most browsers, it does have the capability of storing your ISY credentials and thus you would never have to enter the userid/password again. Does it not?

With kind regards,

Michel

Something to conisder RE: the iPhone/ITouch implementation -- there should be an option to bypass authentication -- username / pass for simplicity. This way you can use the Iphone as a remote without logging in.

Mobile safari does not support saved passwords. However, if you are using a jailbroken phone or when the next software update comes out supporting SDK applications it will be possible to have a native ISY application on the iphone/touch that will be able to store your password and interact with the ISY in the background and be as pretty as you can dream of. :D

It might also currently be possible to port the admin console over to the iphone using jiggy but I'm not sure.

Good idea. The app is a java client and the iPhone will eventually support Java however Sun has not yet ported the runtime.

The web method would be a quick hit, with a possible migration of code later on. My 0.02.

Mobile safari does not support saved passwords. However, if you are using a jailbroken phone or when the next software update comes out supporting SDK applications it will be possible to have a native ISY application on the iphone/touch that will be able to store your password and interact with the ISY in the background and be as pretty as you can dream of. :D

It might also currently be possible to port the admin console over to the iphone using jiggy but I'm not sure.

This is a basic view using my CSS file so far, I am working now to get Internet Explorer to show close to the same as the Safari browser. I can't stand the small buttons its showing below.

As for the function, this is just an example page I created with some document.write java functions to use the CSS file so no functionality exists yet.

Also the nice concaved buttons that we see on the iPhone require images that are "smeared" across the button and since the ISY has limited server capabilities, I have not attempted to use the images.

Internet Explorer ----------------------------------------------- Safari

288074725_8dM7U-O.png

Yeah no Sun Java, but the iPhone browser does support Apple Java that is built in. If it was not there none of the webapps that so many have already created would work. I am following examples from the WebApp developer site over at Apple and they use a ton of Java code in their examples.

Good idea. The app is a java client and the iPhone will eventually support Java however Sun has not yet ported the runtime.

The web method would be a quick hit, with a possible migration of code later on. My 0.02.

Would it be possible to do an iPod.app type two level selection..

Top level would have entries like:

Scenes

Devices

Programs (potentially).

Second level would be:

Scenes --> list of all scenes (on / off / dim / Bright)

Devices --> List of all devices (can add third level to identify device type (e.g. kpl, switch link, etc..)

Programs --> list of all programs.

The round buttons only are in Safari, with staying in the confinds of CSS there is no option that I can find for IE.

So what is in the iPhone browser got ... just JavaScript?

Looks good with the rounded buttons!

Java is not ported by apple but has been ported in various forms by 3rd party developers. For example there is Jiggy and the Java runtime ported by saurik.

Hi Mark,

Yes, just JavaScript at the present time.

A new firmware is scheduled for sometime in June, containing major updates to the device and including new capabilities.

Here is a link to iPhone web app devleopment. hxxp://http://developer.apple.com/webapps/

If it asks you to log in, you can register for a free account. No cost involved.

Under the iPhone Tech Talk Videos you can dowload (for free) from iTunes videos about developpig iPhone web apps and device capabilities.

In using the Safari, one of the better layouts I found was on hxxp:/iiphone.foxnews.com.. This is the type of menu / hierarchy I was thinking of.

I am learning about the iPhone webapps with this bit of code for the ISY so thanks for the understanding/help I am sure I need all I can get. I am already a part of the Apple developer program and have visited this site often, but I will head back and get a review of the video you suggested.

I forgot that Java and JavaScript are two different things. I have written tons of JavaScript but have not gotten into Java to much. Most of the languages I work in these days at work are script languages. My current favorite is tcl/tk.

Hi Mark,

Yes, just JavaScript at the present time.

A new firmware is scheduled for sometime in June, containing major updates to the device and including new capabilities.

Here is a link to iPhone web app devleopment. hxxp://http://developer.apple.com/webapps/

If it asks you to log in, you can register for a free account. No cost involved.

Under the iPhone Tech Talk Videos you can dowload (for free) from iTunes videos about developpig iPhone web apps and device capabilities.

In using the Safari, one of the better layouts I found was on hxxp:/iiphone.foxnews.com.. This is the type of menu / hierarchy I was thinking of.

Ever since I got my iPhone, I always wanted to tinker with it (writing some simple apps). However, my home renos have impeded that timeline :) Hence all the Insteon stuff :)

Hopefully after the backyard gets landscaped I'll have sometime to tinker a bit before the baby comes... :) Until then, it's a very cool cell phone. No need to fire up the lap top when checking email, checking something quick on the 'net or very soon being too lazy to get up and walk up to a switch to turn it off :)