Night Scene

andrew77

I'm trying to get a night scene programmed and I'm a little confused on what the best way to do it is.

Here's what i want to do.

By pressing a KPL G button, I want all the lights to go off (I've checked many of the All On All Off posts) except for two lights that will be on at 18% or so.

Then at sunrise, shut off the two lights.

My problem is this.

Every time I program it leds turn on on my kpls. I'm hoping to kill all the lights and the LEDS for the KPLs as well (except for the KPL G button of course)

Is there a way to do this with one button push, or do I need to take other things into consideration?

I know Darrell's post is the answer somehow but I'm not savvy enough with the ISY programming to understand it.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=902

Drew

Andrew,

You should be able to do what you want with a single button press to activate a scene; except, obviously, for turning off the two remaining lights at sunrise, which will require a program.

Try this: create your 'Night' scene, place in it the KPL button G as a controller, and place in it all the lights you want as responders, including the two dim level ones. Set the on-level of those two dim level ones to your desired level (you mentioned 18%). Set the on-level of all the remaining lights in that scene to zero.

Make sure you are setting the levels that will be used by the KPL button (see the Working With Scenes wiki article). You may also choose to set the same levels for the scene as used by ISY.

Now, when you press your KPL button to turn the scene on (or turn it on from ISY), all the lights should go off (level zero) except the two dim ones, which should go to your preset level. If you press the KPL button again to turn the scene off (or turn it off from ISY), all the lights should go off, including the two dim ones.

Create a small program to turn the two dim lights off at sunrise. You may use another scene with just those two lights in it, and have the program turn that scene off. Or you can have the program turn each of the two devices off in turn. You could also just have the program turn off the Night scene to turn those two lights off at sunrise, but that will also turn off all the other lights in that scene (if you had turned any of them on).

Please let us know how this works.

Hi Darrell

That's basically what I was thinking and it works great, thanks.

Is there any way to make all the LEDS go off as well?

I have three KPLs right now and when I push the NIGHT scene KPL button, the load on the same KPL lights up and the LEDS of lights that were on in other KPLs stay on (even though the new night scene makes the actual lights go off)

I know I use the MutEx buttons on one KPL for this issue but I don't think I can do that across different KPLs.

Am I stuck with the LEDs on or is there a way around this?

Drew

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, a KPL button turned 'On' to 'zero' still turns on--it does not recognize level zero as being off. Two possible workarounds come to mind, each of which require one additional scene and one additional program (but both of which still operate by a single button press, as requested).

1. You could make your Night KPL button a non-toggle off button, so it would always send an Off command. Then you place as responders in the Night scene, all of the devices which you wish to turn off. This should cause other KPL buttons which are linked to those lights, to also turn off, since they are seeing an Off command rather than an On (to zero) command. You would have a separate scene for the devices which you wish to go to a low level, and use a program to turn that low-level scene on. The program would be triggered by the Night KPL button.

2. You could keep your present scene, and add an additional scene which contains as responders (only) all of the KPL buttons which you wish to go off. Write a program which triggers on the Night KPL button, and turns that button scene off, in order to turn the KPL buttons off. If the load of the KPL which has the Night button is part of the Night scene, then include it in the button scene, to turn its button off.

Either of these should do what you want. Feel free to try them both, and to experiment. Let us know which you prefer.

1. You could make your Night KPL button a non-toggle off button, so it would always send an Off command. Then you place as responders in the Night scene, all of the devices which you wish to turn off. This should cause other KPL buttons which are linked to those lights, to also turn off, since they are seeing an Off command rather than an On (to zero) command.

This is great!!! It's exactly what I want.

I don't even have the KPL LED on that triggers the scene. Perfect.

I've not gotten to the part of making the scene and triggering it with the KPL button but I'll get to that hopefully by this weekend.

I'll let you know how it goes and if I have any other questions.

Thanks again,

Drew

If I understand you right, I have two scenes.

One (nighttime) has all the lights that I want off, and this is triggered by the KPL H button (non-toggle mode)

This works perfectly

The other scene (nighttime two) has the two lights that I want on at 20%

This is what I've programmed but it doesn't work right.

If

Control 'Deck KPL H Nighttime' is switched On

Then

Set Scene 'Nightime two' On

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This doesn't seem to activate the nigttime two scene.

Do I have the wording wrong somehow?

Drew

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you right, I have two scenes.

One (nighttime) has all the lights that I want off, and this is triggered by the KPL H button (non-toggle mode)

Yes, that is correct. The KPL H button can be made a controller of this scene, so no program is required for this portion.

This works perfectly

Great!

The other scene (nighttime two) has the two lights that I want on at 20%

This is what I've programmed but it doesn't work right.

If

Control 'Deck KPL H Nighttime' is switched On

Then

Else

This doesn't seem to activate the nigttime two scene.

Do I have the wording wrong somehow?

Drew

If you have placed the KPL H button into non-toggle off mode as suggested earlier, then please change your If condition to:

If

Control 'Deck KPL H Nighttime' is switched Off

Hope this helps.

Hi Darrell

I've tried this and a few other things to work but again I'm not getting the desired effect.

If

Control 'Deck KPL H Nighttime' is switched Off

Then

Else

That works great but then at sunrise I want a program or timer to shut it off.

If

Time is Sunrise

And Control 'Deck KPL H Nighttime' is switched Off

Then

Set Scene 'Nighttime' Off

Else

What is wrong here? When I wake up the lights are still on.

Also, I've searched around on the Wiki site but couldn't find a glossary for all the UDI terms (toggle, non-toggle)

Is there one? Maybe understanding some of the terms would help me (and I assume others) to program more succesfully the first time.

And (sorry for all the questions) when would I use the "Else" section of the programs?

Drew

If

Time is Sunrise

Not sure I fully grasp what you're trying to do, but these conditions could be a problem.

This IF statement says to run the THEN only if you press that KPL button off EXACTLY at sunrise.

What are you looking to accomplish exactly?

Do you want your nighttime scene to turn off at sunrise only if your 'Deck KPL H' button is off?

If so, when you create your IF statement, use STATUS instead of CONTROL to check the status of your KPL button.

Hi Mike;

The KPL H button is set for non toggle off ( I believe that means that when I press it it always sends an off signal, please correct me if I'm wrong)

I press it when we're going to bed and it shuts off all the lights but runs a scene with two lights on for night lights.

At sunrise I'd like the lights to automatically shut off.

I think the tip you've given me is the answer.

I'll try it tonight and see.

Do you know of a glossary to check this stuff out (non toggle on VS non toggle off, etc...) so I can understand a bit more of what I'm doing or understand fully what the ISY can do?

Drew

The KPL H button is set for non toggle off ( I believe that means that when I press it it always sends an off signal, please correct me if I'm wrong)

That's correct. If it's in 'non-toggle' mode the KPL LED will always be in its 'off' state. When you press it, it will flash on a couple times, but then go back off.

I press it when we're going to bed and it shuts off all the lights but runs a scene with two lights on for night lights.

At sunrise I'd like the lights to automatically shut off.

Sounds to me like you don't even need to check the KPL button then. Why not just remove that line and simply have your program turn that scene OFF at sunrise?

Do you know of a glossary to check this stuff out (non toggle on VS non toggle off, etc...) so I can understand a bit more of what I'm doing or understand fully what the ISY can do?

There are UDI and Insteon wikis you could check out:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... =Main_Page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INSTEON

Terms like 'non-toggle', etc. are actually Insteon terms.

Good luck!

Mike, thanks so much for your help; and for the pointer to the Wikipedia INSTEON page!

Andrew, as Mike said, just remove the

line from your program, and it will turn your scene off at sunrise.

You are absolutely correct about the need for better documentation! Our wiki (which we are working hard to improve) does have a glossary, but admittedly it is not very extensive.

Again as Mike said, many of the terms are INSTEON specific. I did search Smarthome's website for you, and found this glossary, which does have the terms toggle and non-toggle, as does this glossary on Smarthome's wiki.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if your scenes are running correctly.

Like A Charm!!!

(of course the first night it didn't work because I programmed it to shut off the wrong scene, nice, I smetimes wonder how i remember to breathe)

Thanks, guys.

On to more programming (and inevitably more questions)

Drew

Archived