Programming lockout on 2477D, etc?

widnerm

I asked this question over on the Smarthome Insteon forum and ended up back here...

My kids like to play with the dimmers and switches (mostly 2477D and 2477S) and seem to accidentally push the "set" buttons from time to time. So about once a week I find some switch doing weird things or just not working. I was wondering if there was a way to lock out programming at the switch to avoid this.

Over there somebody described how to access the "option" button for devices through the ISY admin panel, as shown below.

options_zpsfcca19c7.png

I'm running the latest (4.0.5) and I don't have that "Option" button for any of my devices (2477D v41, 2477S v43, 2486D v41) and wondering if those "Options" no longer exist for these newer devices, if the feature is just missing from 4.0.5 for these devices, or if I'm just blind and missing it somewhere.

And, for that matter, would that "Local programming lockout" actually do what I want (e.g., stop the set button on the switches from doing anything) or is there some other way to accomplish this?

May depend on the Hardware and Firmware revision of the modules.

Some features where added by Smartlabs to later revision devices that are not in the earlier revisions.

User provided data on Insteon Modules.

http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/Inst ... e_list.htm

If the options setting area for your module does not show that option. There is a very good chance the module does not support the feature.

widnerm

It will dependent on the device firmware and what the ISY supports.

Check Help | About and verify that the UI line shows 4.0.5. If not clear the Java cache and make sure the URL used to invoke the Admin Console is correct for 4.0.5.

Thanks LeeG.

I'm definitely running the latest (v.4.0.5, firmware and panel).

I know where the "Option" button is supposed to be (from the picture in the first post).

It's just not there for 2477D (v.41) or 2477S (v.43) (which I believe are the latest switches with the latest firmware.)

On the Smarthome forum a guy says the Houselinc software can set the "program lockout" option on these switches. So it would appear that this feature exists, but is just missing from the ISY admin panel (at least in v.4.0.5).

I am running latest ISY firmware 4.05 and none of my 2477D Dual Band Switchlinc Dimmers show the options with the latest switchlinc firmware of all my switchlincs being V.41 as reported in the ISY and on the face of the Switchlinc the sticker shows as 'V7.0'. Haven't seen anyone post here or in Smarthome forum that they have this working with a 2447D or keypadlinc.

Hi widnerm,

We never added program lock option in the options for SWL. This was by design (not omission) since, once you set it, in some cases, you might not be able to reset it and might have to factory reset your device.

Thanks, Michel.

I guess that explains why I can't find it anywhere.

Having never used this "feature" I'm not 100% sure I understand it, but if it works the way I understand then I'm not sure I follow the logic of omitting the option on the ISY.

My understanding is it's only a *local* programming lockout. So that it prevents the set button on the switch from allowing program at the switch. Anyone using an ISY shouldn't be programming anything at the switch (to avoid conflicts with the ISY programming). I understand that if this local lockout it set it still allows programming over the network through the ISY, Houselinc, etc.

If this is how the function actually works (disabling only *local* programming) then I would think most people would find it preferable to set this way for most switches/dimmers.

When mine get messed up due to the kids accidentally hitting the set buttons I find the easiest and fastest thing to do is just factory reset the switch and then "restore device" from the ISY.

Now if the flag is a *all program lockout* meaning you can't program through the ISY/Houselinc either then I would completely agree with the logic of omitting it from the ISY menus. That could be more of a pain than a help.

Hi widnerm,

Thanks so very much for the feedback. Since we tried this a long time ago, and since it actually locked everything else, we will have to check and make sure which models/versions exhibit do actually exhibit the complete lockout.

In the meantime, I have added it as a feature request so that we can track it (119).

With kind regards,

Michel

I don't see an Options Button for any of my 2477D light switches either and they are fairly new (v.41). I see an Options button for IOLincs, Motion Sensors & Synchrolincs only. I thought the only option for the light switches was controlling LED Brightness through the ISY - how can I get the Options Button to show like in the first post screenshot?

I am running 4.0.5 Firmware & UI.

Thanks!

Hi widnerm,

Thanks so very much for the feedback. Since we tried this a long time ago, and since it actually locked everything else, we will have to check and make sure which models/versions exhibit do actually exhibit the complete lockout.

In the meantime, I have added it as a feature request so that we can track it (119).

Thanks Michel. Couldn't ask for more, your collective responsiveness is great.

• 2 months later...

I found this thread while looking for an option to disable local programming on KPLs. Was a little bummed to find it!

But given some previous notes about no options for certain other devices, could there be options for the OutletLinc dimmers (and maybe the relays, although I haven't looked). I have an OutletLinc dimmer (item 2472DWH) installed near my bed. When the outlet is off, it is red…and rather bright! I had my old software turn the LED off completly.

Could this be added to the ISY? The same goes for the blue LED on my IRLincT. I hadn't tried to turn that LED off before, since it's new, but wow is that bright!! For now, I have covered it with black tape.

• 8 months later...

Is this something we can expect to not see in any future updates?

Before switching to the ISY, I was a HUGE HouseLinc user. Every single switch/keypad in my house had an option in Houselinc to set a programming lock. It seems that the only two devices I can program lock are fanlincs and iolincs, which neither of these devices would even come close to the hands of little kids trying to push the buttons. 

This programming lock only locked the "set button" on the switch. It could still be programmed remotely. It was very easy to enable and disable this feature whenever you wanted. I never had any issues being locked out of a switch and unable to disable the program lock. There was also another option (complete separate) to "Disable Houselinc Control" so that even Houselinc couldn't change settings on the devices. 

Archived