Programming Activity on ISY --failure to communicate?

Smile4yourself

You guys must have seen this before. I add say a button to a new scene and the ISY reports to me that a motion detector on the porch (which has nothing to do with what I'm doing) can not communicate with the ISY.

I thought they were RF devices that did not communicate except when they decide to in order to save battery.?? The ISY also reports that my remotelinc does not communicate. This is understand, as I have shut it off to save the battery, but the ISY does not report that the motion detection in the garage can't communicate... so I'm led to believe there is something wrong. To make things stranger, the motion detector on the porch works fine, detecting motion, triggering programs etc.

There are different icons in the admin panel of the ISY for two different motion detectors, even though they are the same models ??

One icon looks like "1011" in a small arrow pointing right. (motion detector on porch)

The other icon looks like two red dots connecting by a "Z" turned sideways (motion detector in garage)

Maybe someone can add some light to the meaning of the icons, and correct my expectations.

Best regards

The 1011 Icon indicates the ISY has pending updates for the motion sensor. Each time the Admin Console makes a change it looks through the nodes to see if any others have pending updates. Put the Motion Sensor into linking mode, select Write Updates to Device.

To expand upon LeeGs comments:

To make things stranger, the motion detector on the porch works fine, detecting motion, triggering programs etc.

The motion sensor works fine because it (the motion sensor) is initiating contact with the ISY. You are correct that motion sensors save battery by communicating ONLY when they decide, as triggered by motion.

I add say a button to a new scene and the ISY reports to me that a motion detector on the porch (which has nothing to do with what I'm doing) can not communicate with the ISY.

This is an example of communication with the motion sensor initiated by the ISY (rather than by the motion sensor). In this case, the motion sensor is not in listening mode (to save battery) and does not respond to the ISY. As I understand it, motion sensors are in listening mode only while in linking mode, or within a short time period after sensing motion.

Archived