EZ Flora = Set Program Timers in device via ISY

brendan_muir

I was wondering if the ISY's REST service layer exposes the functionality required to store/persist new program start and run times in the EZFlora? I have looked, but haven't seen anything yet. :?:

If there is not anything native, is there a way to use the ISY to send native Insteon commands to the EZ-Flora and/or any other Insteon device? I can store/persist program start and run times to the EZFlora via the PowerLinc... so I was wondering if there is a way to do this with the ISY. (I have an ISY994i)

Preferably I would like to do this via the REST service layer. If this is not possible yet, but could be added, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for as prompt of reply as possible.

Thanks for the prompt reply!!

I surely understand both the technical and strategic reasons why you would not expose a functionality in the EZ Flora (or other devices) that you have already accounted for with a proprietary solution in the ISY. I see that the ISY provides a much more comprehensive way of extending and orchestrating the composite of devices comprising a smart home or automation network.

For my purpose, I need to regularly update the program that controls the sprinklers attached to the EZ Flora from the REST or SOAP interfaces. I've had trouble piecing together how to create or update an irrigation program that would be orchestrated by the ISY - do you have any additional information or examples of the Irrigation programs configured and changed in the ISY using the service interfaces? (variables, etc.). I haven't had my aha moment yet and so things still seem a bit cryptic to me. I've spent some time searching for samples, but to no avail.

Thanks again for all your help!

We would like to supplement the features of the irrigation add-ons Universal offers, with our own science, data and irrigation strategy. We have a strategy that is more narrowly focused on water conservation.

We are planning on testing our conservation platform in a group of beta-test homes this coming spring. We wanted to write directly to the EZ Flora for instances where the ISY drops offline or is unavailable for some reason - it is really a layer of backup protection since our goals and credibility are dependent on bullet-proof accuracy and reliability of the irrigation functions. If an ISY dies or is misbehaving... or being firmware upgraded, etc... We wanted the EZ-Flora to be self-sufficient for a stint via the internal program functions... kinda like emergency auto pilot.

The EZFlora has no internal clock. It does not run its internal programs without being directed to do so. Seems like you will need Insteon Mesh Network access through a PLM to run the EZFlora programs if the assumption is the ISY is not in the picture. With Insteon Mesh Network capability as part of your package it would not be that much more to update the EZFlora programs or drive the Valves/Zones directly as the ISY does.

Aha... no internal clock is a problem for what we have been proposing! That helps me better understand why the ISY interfaces with the EZ-Flora like it does. Thanks for clarifying things and for providing some insight that I have more due diligence to do on the mesh topology.

Your support and knowledge are top notch - it's refreshing and very cool to find a company and user community that stands behind its product and whose passion for the technology is apparent in the knowledge and assistance it delivers to customers.

Thanks for all your help gentlemen. I look for ward to future interactions as we continue to explore and kick the tires on the ISY.

I would add, that there are few devices out there as bullet proof as the ISY. We will have some pain coming with a new major release giving us a lot of new features, but these devices run years in some users home. I've never had mine lock up, ever. The weak link will always be the smarthome products themselves.

The isy cannot start or change the parameters of the programs 1-4 on the ex-flora, and currently you cannot change the amount of run time in the program with a variable in a wait statement based on outside factors. There is a full irrigation module that can be purchased, and the author is on the site here to ask questions of.

Next major release may have the feature to set a wait time to a variable, which will add a whole layer of additional capabilities.

Alan

• 5 months later...

I just got my EZFLora installed today, and the first thing I wanted was to be able to have Wait statements reference a variable! A quick search of the forum brought me here.

I hope UDI has this feature on the fast track!

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

While isy may be reliable, the plm is not. It appears that 2413s devices fail after two years and four months. Just out of warranty.

If I could have previously set a scene button via isy to trigger an irrigation sequence preprogrammed via isy as a backup trigger to program control in isy, I would not have been without irrigation while waiting for a replacement plm.

Instead I had to link each valve I wanted to run to a scene button when I was without plm.

Archived