Tools...Diagnostics...show Links

C Martin

I had a PLM meltdown this past weekend. I did receive a warning last week when some schedules were not run. And then on Saturday the meltdown really hit.

I could not link or restore devices and sometimes I had to do some tricky stuff in order to remove and the re-add devices.

I beat it down to the Smart Home store and replaced the PLM with a new one. BTW, If I had only taken the old PLM they would have made an even exchange on the spot. But I did receive a RMA and a Fedex label via e-mail and they will return my purchase to my card.(Kudos to Smart Home!).

Now, to the real question....

I apparently did some things incorrectly or my PLM and ISY links were completely toasted... I don't know which for sure. But I have spent several days re-installing switches, motion sensors and triggerlinc.

I have not in the past visited the Show... PLM Links table, Show ISY Links Table or Show Device Links Table.

When I did, I only had 17 links in my PLM links table.

The question: The option to save the various links tables.... I have saved the PLM Links table and the ISY Links table to files. Am I correct in thinking, that in the future, if there are problems that I can use these files to restore both the PLM and the ISY? The other question that I have: the ISY links table seems so small and only has a single line item. Does this sound correct?

I hope that this was not too verbose.

post-27-140474161406_thumb.png

The number of links in a PLM is directly related to the number and type of Insteon devices defined. If the PLM lost its link database only those devices that were deleted/readded or a Restore Device issued could have PLM link records. A new PLM required a Restore Modem (PLM) to rebuild the new PLM after the ISY power was restored with the new PLM connected.

The Save function is not a backup. The ISY backup and restore is used to bring back a configuration that has been corrupted.

The Show ISY Links Table is on a per device basis. A single active link record could be valid depending on the device type.

If several devices have been corrupted because of the old PLM there is a File | Restore Devices which restores all the devices.

Hi Lee,

So, the option to save those links is just for trouble shooting and not much else?

I did try all other method but I had to do the tough-out job of manually restoring re-installing and some restoring of devices.

Thanks for the reply.

Do the backups contain linking information?

I keep good backups but they didn't seem to restore my links either.

Hi Clarance-

Yes. Backups do contain the links as the ISY knows them. If you have a good backup from before the PLM swap, you can restore that backup then do a restore PLM.

-Xathros

The ISY Backup has all the configuration information which includes link information. Restoring an ISY Backup refreshes the information in the ISY. It does not restore that information to devices. Restoring all device configuration and link information to every device would be time consuming and usually not necessary.

The Save of the link display is useful for debugging. I have had users send me a file particularly when a large number of links is involved.

That sequence would result in the PLM being restored.

EDIT: an additional note. Restoring an ISY Backup could result in the device link information in the ISY not being in sync with link information in some of the devices. Depends on how different the Backup is from the current definition. It may be necessary to do a series of Restore Device commands to bring the devices in sync with the older ISY Backup.

Archived