ISY994i/PLM Newbie

f.demello

Hello - I have the above dual band unit and have been unable to get the system to see my first device - Leak Sensor (2852-222). I have placed the unit in program mode directly near the PLM to no avail. My Admin Console connects no problem. When I Start Syncing I get the Remove Links dialog but nothing happens after I click Finish.

I tried to manually connect but I do not know where to find the address of the device

Anything I can try to get the unit connected?

Noet: PLM Version 25.29.42 V9B

Thank you

The Insteon address of the Leak Sensor is inside the unit. Remove the top as though replacing the battery.

Run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3. Select New INSTEON Address, enter Insteon Address, Name of choice and select [10.08] Leak Sensor. BEFORE clicking Ok put the Leak Sensor into linking mode by pressing the Leak Sensor Set button until Leak Sensor LED blinks continuously. Click Ok.

If it does not add post the event trace.

Instead of opening the leak sensor I had a new ApplianceLinc (#2456S3) come in and tried that instead. Thought that would be easy. Cannot get the ISY to see it. Moved the ISY/PLM closer to my computer so I could test this out. All devices are right next to these units. Not only will it not see anything but I am getting this 2nd window popping up when I launch the Admin Console (see attached)

Not sure where to go next

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

post-6097-140474161488_thumb.jpg

I would normally Start Linking after I put the device into linking mode

I believe this is reverse order. Start linking first, then put the others in linking mode, as responders. If the link up, the will give a couple of quick flashes, and go back to normal mode. They might even beep.

But just to be sure...

When I choose "start linking", the choice to "remove existing links" is already selected. It is NOT something I have to select afterwards.

If your devices continue to flash, I tend to start thinking comm problems.

Moved the ISY/PLM closer to my computer so I could test this out.

My experience is that being close to the computer is BAD, due to proximity to lots of power supplies, UPS, surge suppressors, etc. I consider it near mandadory to filter these kinds of things.

Instead, get an extension cord and plug it into another outlet on another circuit. Plug the PLM into the extension cord. Plug the appliancelinc into the same outlet. Try linking again. Hopefully this will help.

Thank you. Moved the ISY/PLM back to my lower level and I was able to get the Appliance link to be seen/added

No luck with a Link Sensor (will try to add manually) or a motion detector. What does the device address look like once I open up the unit? Any trick on hte moton?

I am a little confused on what a Responder means. I assume you make a device a responder to events of another device (s) Correct?

Thanks again

The Insteon address is printed on a piece of paper glued to the Printed Circuit Board (PCB). It is obvious.

In Insteon there are Controllers which affect what Responders do. In a simple case ....

KPL button C is a Controller

LampLinc is a Responder

Some devices such as Motion Sensors, TriggerLincs, RemoteLinc/RemoteLinc2 and others are Controller only devices. These devices cannot be turned On/Off from another device.

Some devices are Responder only devices. The older ApplianceLinc, the OutletLinc Relay and others can be turned On/Off by a Controller but manual operation of these devices CANNOT affect other Insteon devices (Responder Only).

Most Insteon devices are Controller/Responder devices. They can control other devices (Controller) and they can react (Responder) to other Controllers. KeypadLincs, SwitchLincs are two examples of devices that are Controller/Responder devices.

When assigning a device node to a Scene as a controller device, assign the device as a Controller. The ISY assumes a Controller is also a Responder to the Scene if the device also has Responder capability.

Battery devices have to be put into linking mode with the Set button to keep them awake long enough to add them to the ISY and make changes to the link records and configuration data. Battery powered devices sleep (turn Off RF circuity) to extend battery life. If they are not put into linking mode the ISY will not be able to send commands to them.

BAsed upon what I am thinking from your posts:

a) you should filter your computer equipment. The fact that your system worked when you located it away from there suggests that your computer stuff interferes with the ability of insteon to communicate.

B) make sure you have two access points, on opposite legs of your electrical system, in order to communicate between the two legs. You should be able to add your IOLinc continues to suggest marginal communication.

If you cannot add your IOLinc via the "start linking" steps used with the appliancelinc suggests upcoming problems when adding manually.

I am a little confused on what to buy. From what I am reading you want 2 access points to join the 2 phases of an electrical system. However any dual band unit is already an access point. Isn't the PLM a dual band unit serving as one access point? If you have an odd # does it break the phase join that 2 devices perform?

I am also confused on placement of these devices. My initial thought would be you would want them spread out (IE 1 on each floor) to get the best coverage but from reading I am not sure. It appears it bridges RF/Power Line so they essentially could be close together. Correct? Or is it better to spread out as long as the phases are joined?

Thank you

The basic rule of thumb is that you need two dual band devices on opposite phases (one on each phase) and within RELIABLE RF range of each other.

Access points are recommended as they have generally much better RF range than in wall dual band devices. Some of the newer dual band plug-in modules appear to have reasonable RF range and can be substituted for an access point. Additional access points or dual band plug-in modules may be required in more distant areas to link RF only devices such as motion sensors, door/window sensors, thermostats, leak sensors etc. Odd/even quantities does not matter.

Filters may be required to isolate electrically noisy or signal absorbing devices from the power line. Computer equipment, UPSs, many surge suppressors, cell/laptop chargers, florescent lighting etc can cause serious issues with both Insteon and X10 communications. Placing a filterlinc between such devices and the line can greatly improve performance and reliability.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Try the built in communications tests. Outlined in your full users manual. Maybe called the beacon test or four tap test.

You can start by tapping the set button on the PLM four times. It should start beeping. Then with in four minutes {it will timeout}.

Observe the LEDs on your other Dual Band devices.

On dual colored LEDs. Flashing green is communicating and on other phase. Flashing Red is communicating on same phase. No LED action. Not communicating at all.

You can try the same tests from other Dual Band devices to see what they can talk to. You only need one or more on each phase communicating. So everyone will not be on opposite phases from each other.

Manuals links are on their sales pages or here.

http://www.insteon.com/support.html

Access Points seem to cover areas of the home better. Some Dual Band modules are influenced by where mounted and if in a metal switch box if a switch type module.

I am a little confused on what to buy. From what I am reading you want 2 access points to join the 2 phases of an electrical system. However any dual band unit is already an access point. Isn't the PLM a dual band unit serving as one access point? If you have an odd # does it break the phase join that 2 devices perform?

These are all good questions. Yes, your understanding is accurate I believe. Unfortunately, reality collides with theory based on my experience and what I read around here. Xathros ably explained many of the benefits of access points. I would add a couple more: flexibility of placement for phase coupling, and flexibility of placement for RF coverage for use with other RF-only devices such as motion sensors and remotes. Theoretically, once you have two access points, you can add as many more (even having an odd number) as you need for the coverage concern. My experience confirms theory in this case.

Have installed the 2 new Access Points. They are on opposite phases. Have added a FilterLinc to my comouter equipment.

I am still having 0 luck installing the Leak Sensors. I also cannot find a Address inside the unit to try manually.

I'm about $900 in and can only get one device to link. Pretty frustrated and not sure what to try next.

Any help will be appreciated

f.demello

You need the Insteon address. Mine is inside the unit. Take the bottom off as if replacing the battery. SmartLabs has moved the labels to different locations for other devices so look on the outside of the bottom section as well. If you cannot find where they put the Insteon address contact Smarthome. For a battery device you need the Insteon address to use with New INSTEON Device. If you do not have the Insteon address it would not add using Start Linking because it is not awake.

Hello Michael - I opened a 2nd leak sensor, found the address and linked it. Once confusing thing to me is it adds 3 instances (Wet, Dry, Heartbeat) of the device. If every device did this it could get complicated. Should/ca you create a folder for each device?

I am assuming if I want to get a text message when there is a leak I need to interface with Wet?

Thank you for your help

Every Leak Sensor should have 3 nodes. Like an 8 button KPL has 8 nodes. The Wet and Dry nodes can be assigned as Controllers of an ISY Scene or either can be used to trigger an ISY Program. There are examples posted on the forum for looking at the Wet node. The Heartbeat node gets a message from the Leak Sensor approx every 24 hours. This node can be monitored to insure the Leak Sensor is operating within range of a Dual Band device and the battery is good.

Archived