X-Mas Tree program

Seb50

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with one of my holiday light program. The lights keep going on and shutting off. What am I doing wrong?

If

Front Light Spot light program is true

Then

wait 10 minutes (random)

and turn on X-Mas tree

Else

Wait 10 minutes (random)

and turn X-Mas tree off

Front Spot are my front lights that turn on at different time on different days. Those work properly had the rule for a while. My goal is for my X-Mas tree to turn on after the front spot turn on at a random time within 10 minute. I also want my X-Mas tree to turn off at a random time within 10 minutes when my front spot turn off.

Since these are obviously not the exact programs, it is hard to tell whether we are dealing with scenes or devices, status or controls. It would be extremely helpful to see both programs in their true syntax. It would also be useful to know the devices in any scene mentioned in the relevant programs.

When one have a device or scene which turns off and on and off and on, I tend to suspect that something in the THEN and ELSE paths are changing one of the program conditions, which re-triggers the program. Is it possible that when you turn on and off the Xmas tree (device or scene?) you are causing the spotlight program to change states?

Since these are obviously not the exact programs, it is hard to tell whether we are dealing with scenes or devices, status or controls. It would be extremely helpful to see both programs in their true syntax. It would also be useful to know the devices in any scene mentioned in the relevant programs.

When one have a device or scene which turns off and on and off and on, I tend to suspect that something in the THEN and ELSE paths are changing one of the program conditions, which re-triggers the program. Is it possible that when you turn on and off the Xmas tree (device or scene?) you are causing the spotlight program to change states?

the spots didn't turn on or off. Is that what you mean?

Any suggestions how to write the rule?

Since you did not respond to my, or purdueguys, suggestion to post your programs, I can only offer generalities and assumption that may or my not be accurate. I would delete this program and I corporate you Christmas tree into the spotlight program..

If

Whatever conditions you currently have

Then

Turn on spotlight

Wait 10 minutes random

Turn on Xmas tree

Else

Turn off spotlight

Wait 10 minutes random

Turn off Xmas tree

Or, base the xmas tree program on the status of the Front Spots rather than the Front Spot program. This way, if you manually turn on the front spots, your xmas lights will follow with their random delay. As oberkc said above, without seeing the contents of the Front Spot program, we have no way to know what is causing your loop.

If
Status Front Light Spot light is On
Then
wait 10 minutes (random)
and turn on X-Mas tree

Else
Wait 10 minutes (random)
and turn X-Mas tree off

-Xathros

This is my front spot program

If

On Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu

From Sunset + 42 minutes

To 11:03pm (same day)

Or On Sat, Fri

From Sunset + 46 minutes

To 11:37pm (same day)

Then

Set Front Spot On

Send Notification to email XXX with content XXX

Else

Set Front Spot Off

My X-Mas Tree program is as mentioned in my first post. Does anybody see what may be the problem??

This is still not an exact paste of your programs.

Is front spot a device, or a scene? If a scene, what are the included devices?

Is X-mas tree a device, or a scene? If a scene, what are the included devices?

Honestly, I am unable to identify anything that would cause your programs to loop, at all. Is it possible that you have other programs that are calling your spot progam paths, causing it to toggle between true (then) or false (else)?

I think I would watch the program summary tab, and see if there is any evidence that your spot program is changing status from true or false at times other than your expected times near sunrset and 11XX

This is still not an exact paste of your programs.

Is front spot a device, or a scene? If a scene, what are the included devices?

Is X-mas tree a device, or a scene? If a scene, what are the included devices?

Honestly, I am unable to identify anything that would cause your programs to loop, at all. Is it possible that you have other programs that are calling your spot progam paths, causing it to toggle between true (then) or false (else)?

I think I would watch the program summary tab, and see if there is any evidence that your spot program is changing status from true or false at times other than your expected times near sunrset and 11XX

The front stop and X-mas tree are devices. If they would be a scene they would be connected to another device right? Imgoo looking at the program summary and dont see it going to false

The front stop and X-mas tree are devices.

That makes it simple...and even more puzzling. I see nothing that would cause your tree lights to cycle on and off.

If they would be a scene they would be connected to another device right?

Yes. If they are a scene, you would see a scene definition with a combination of controllers and responders, from one to many. In other words, these would be devices that are linked together.

How long have you had the ISY? Did you manually create any scenes before you had it? Did you clear those scenes away once you added the ISY?

Imgoo looking at the program summary and dont see it going to false

so the spot program is staying true, but you continue to see the tree lights cycling?! Something very strange is going on, and I cannot help but suspect it is unrelated to these two programs.

Archived