RainForest EAGLE Energy Access Gateway to Ethernet

whlatimer

I just acquired an EAGLE device to use as a HAN device to communicate with my SmartMeter and forward the energy consumption info to Bidgely. As the EAGLE is a Zigbee device, what are my options to also utilize the information in my ISY994i PRO?

Can I upgrade my ISY994i PRO to a Zigbee-compatible model? If so and at what cost.

Any other words of advice regarding Energy Monitoring in the ISY universe?

Hi whlatimer,

It all depends on your utility provider. If you are in CA and in SCE or PG&E territory, you can use our ISY994i ZS Series to join the meter and get meter information into ISY and in turn use them in your programs.

And, yes, you can upgrade your 994i to ZS series by purchasing the High Powered Zigbee Smart Grid (SEP1.1) Radio.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi whlatimer,

It all depends on your utility provider. If you are in CA and in SCE or PG&E territory, you can use our ISY994i ZS Series to join the meter and get meter information into ISY and in turn use them in your programs.

And, yes, you can upgrade your 994i to ZS series by purchasing the High Powered Zigbee Smart Grid (SEP1.1) Radio.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel. I am in Texas and my Smart Meter will communciate with the Rainforest EAGLE. I have registered my smart meter and have updated my profile to add the EAGLE as a HAN (Home Area Network) device. Once that registration is complete, I will fire up the EAGLE and configure it to communicate with Bidgely.

Since the EAGLE has Zigbee capability and will decode the power usage onto my wifi network before sending it to Bidgely, wouldn't it be feasible for the ISY994i to consume that data stream rather than establishing an additional Zigbee connection with the meter? Aside from the $100 additional expense for the Zigbee interface to the ISY994i, what other costs might I expect and how can I process the data on the ISY994i.

Many thanks.

Hi whlatimer,

Of course it would be possible but it requires development and interaction with 3rd party companies. Two problems with this approach: how many would want this capability and are willing to pay for it? Would the total amount paid for this integration be more than the total time we will have spent on development?

In short, ZS is proven, certified, and working right now. The other approach is not proven, may take many months (if we have large demand) and you would still have to pay for the module (perhaps less).

With kind regards,

Michel

• 2 months later...
I just acquired an EAGLE device to use as a HAN device to communicate with my SmartMeter and forward the energy consumption info to Bidgely. As the EAGLE is a Zigbee device, what are my options to also utilize the information in my ISY994i PRO?

Can I upgrade my ISY994i PRO to a Zigbee-compatible model? If so and at what cost.

Any other words of advice regarding Energy Monitoring in the ISY universe?

I just ordered the rainforest EAGLE, according to the documentation there are two XML based data access methods web based via POST requests and simular via TCP socket ( continuous connection without HTTP headers)

a script that harvests information to relay to a ISY unit should be trivial

Hi evilpete,

Where would the script run?

Also, with support for Z-Wave devices, the universe for energy monitoring is much more populated now. For instance, there are many devices that can either be used with a CT or as a smart plug.

With kind regards,

Michel

I am writing it in python thus it will run on anything that runs anything

line Unix, Windows ( kindle paperwhite, android :- )

I'll post updates when complete along with a github link when done ( the device should arrive tomorrow )

Hi evilpete,

Where would the script run?

Also, with support for Z-Wave devices, the universe for energy monitoring is much more populated now. For instance, there are many devices that can either be used with a CT or as a smart plug.

With kind regards,

Michel

I am writing it in python thus it will run on anything that runs anything

line Unix, Windows ( kindle paperwhite, android :- )

I'll post updates when complete along with a github link when done ( the device should arrive tomorrow )

some code is up on https://github.com/evilpete/RainEagle it works although it is a bit primitive / simple

Hi evilpete,

Thanks so very much for the update and very much looking forward to the complete package especially if it can run on Eagle!

With kind regards,

Michel

Is there anyway to push Energy Meter Stats into the ISY from an external source ?

Hello evilpete,

Thank you for the code. I copied the code to my pogoplug running Archlinux. Went thru and changed the ip addresses to my eagles address and the same for the mac id in the various scripts. Dont understand how the setup.py is supposed to work (or if it is supposed to be run). Maybe you could give a brief outline.

When I run meter_status.py I get demand value and current value displayed but then it errors out with:

Wed Mar 12 15:03:53 2014 :
       Demand    =      0.573 Kw
       Amps      =      2.388

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./meter_status.py", line 102, in 
   main()
 File "./meter_status.py", line 28, in main
   print_currentsummation(r['CurrentSummation'])
 File "./meter_status.py", line 55, in print_currentsummation
   time_stamp = to_epoch_1970(cs['TimeStamp'])
KeyError: 'TimeStamp'

I do have python 2.7 installed and the scripts are pointing to it. Can you think of what dependency I might be missing.

Oh, and when I run plot_power.py it seems to lock up the eagle.

('Unexpected error:', )
Error replystr =  

0x7fffffffffffffff
0x13500100c2e2bd
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0

File "./plot_power.py", line 135, in 
   main(reagle)
 File "./plot_power.py", line 29, in main
   print_data(eg)
 File "./plot_power.py", line 59, in print_data
   rh = eg.get_history_data()
 File "/usr/home/shipley/Projects/Eagle/RainEagle/EagleClass.py", line 328, in get_history_data
   raise RainEagleResponseError("get_history_data : Null reply")
RainEagle.EagleClass.RainEagleResponseError: get_history_data : Null reply

I am sure I am doing something wrong, hopefully you can help.

Thanks,

tim

Hello evilpete,

Thank you for the code. I copied the code to my pogoplug running Archlinux. Went thru and changed the ip addresses to my eagles address and the same for the mac id in the various scripts. Dont understand how the setup.py is supposed to work (or if it is supposed to be run). Maybe you could give a brief outline.

When I run meter_status.py I get demand value and current value displayed but then it errors out with:

Wed Mar 12 15:03:53 2014 :
       Demand    =      0.573 Kw
       Amps      =      2.388

File "./meter_status.py", line 102, in 
   main()
 File "./meter_status.py", line 28, in main
   print_currentsummation(r['CurrentSummation'])
 File "./meter_status.py", line 55, in print_currentsummation
   time_stamp = to_epoch_1970(cs['TimeStamp'])
KeyError: 'TimeStamp'

I do have python 2.7 installed and the scripts are pointing to it. Can you think of what dependency I might be missing.

Oh, and when I run plot_power.py it seems to lock up the eagle.

('Unexpected error:', )
Error replystr =  

0x7fffffffffffffff
0x13500100c2e2bd
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0

File "./plot_power.py", line 135, in 
   main(reagle)
 File "./plot_power.py", line 29, in main
   print_data(eg)
 File "./plot_power.py", line 59, in print_data
   rh = eg.get_history_data()
 File "/usr/home/shipley/Projects/Eagle/RainEagle/EagleClass.py", line 328, in get_history_data
   raise RainEagleResponseError("get_history_data : Null reply")
RainEagle.EagleClass.RainEagleResponseError: get_history_data : Null reply

I am sure I am doing something wrong, hopefully you can help.

Thanks,

tim

thanks for the feed back

you need to upgrade your firmware,

go to http://support.rainforestautomation.com/ and issue a ticket to get upgraded, include the "cloud id" for your device, it is printed on the bottom of the device.

Thanks, done.

I was under the impression that the upgrades were automatic as it was updated with the new gui a while back. My firmware is 2.0.17.

Hopefully they are quick with their responses.

Thanks again,

tim

I was upgraded to 2.0.21 a week or so go after I reported dropped socket connections when I tried to acquiring history use data.

My code is still a work in progress, I just added a bunch more api calls from the under documented ajax call api.

I guess I'll should add Check & warning for firmware version

• 1 month later...

Hi evilpete,

I have been looking into a similar integration. First of all thank you for the python work you have done so far.

Rather than pulling the EAGLE at preset intervals I want to 'listen' to the stream that it sends to bidgely. I am waiting for my firmware to get updated and want to setup a lightweight POST server one a Mac Mini in python, that consumes the upload data stream and forwards it to bidgely - as a proxy.

With every data packet it gets it should update a view variables on the ISY to reflect the most current energy consumption.

FYI - Doing all of this as the ISY - meter integration with San Diego Gas & Electric does not seem to work.

Have you done anything similar?

Thanks!

Oliver

Hi evilpete,

I have been looking into a similar integration. First of all thank you for the python work you have done so far.

Rather than pulling the EAGLE at preset intervals I want to 'listen' to the stream that it sends to bidgely. I am waiting for my firmware to get updated and want to setup a lightweight POST server one a Mac Mini in python, that consumes the upload data stream and forwards it to bidgely - as a proxy.

If I were you I would wait for integrated support from universal-devices ( unless you also plan to use Z-wave ).

What model do you have, RainForest & Bidgely sell the same unit, the only difference I can detect is that the web GUI from Bidgely does not have the option for connecting to custom "uploaders" ( servers ), although you can still do this from the API.

Unfortunately the Eagle does not support "uploading" to multiple servers. Thus if you want to continue to use the Bidgely web service a man-in-the-middle style proxy operating as a simple data aggregator may be the best sort term solution.

this is easily set up by Using the GUI to configure Bidgely as the upload destination then using the API call get_uploaders() changing the uploader_hostname value to a local IP and then setting the change with set_uploader()

Their API is documented here

http://rainforestautomation.com/sites/default/files/docs/eagle_uploader_api_03.pdf

But as I said before, I would wait for integrated support from universal-devices ( unless you also plan to use Z-wave ).

Hi Oliver,

We are still in the queue for SDG&E testing. We submitted our application more than 3 months ago and it just keeps getting postponed.

With kind regards,

Michel

I understand. Just trying to get some data in the meantime.

I am also playing with an Opensource realtime metrics dashboard and would like to stream all kinds of data (including power) to its realtime graphs. That way I can see data in realtime.

• 9 months later...

I may have solved many of your Rainforest Eagle <--> ISY-994  interface questions posted here.

I built a listener self contained WebAPP to the Rainforest Eagle messages its a webapp called PowerEYE,

It then automatically pushes them into your configured ISY!

The ISY-994 state variables are:

1. eagle.power.current.watts
  2. eagle.energy.current.wattshours
  3. eagle.price.current.centsperkwhr

NOTE:the power reading gets updated (pushed) every ~10 seconds.

It also integrates the ISY-devices through a page that lists all your ISY-devices and allows control of those devices.

See the announcement post at:

topic 15394-powereye-integrate-isy-994-with-rainforest-eagle-hansmartmeter-data

or go to the http://powereye.webarts.ca

Its Free, OpenSource and runs on its own, as long as you have an installed JDK. (no need for a seperate web server/servlet engine)

questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.

tom

• 2 months later...

Archived