Garage kit - require a confirmation press

jjm2958

Hi all, I recently bought the insteon garage door kit and installed it. Seems to be working ok. It took me a while to figure out that the door only opens when the relay goes from off to on. If it is currently on and I click the icon the status changes to off but the door doesn't open/close. I wrote a simple program which looks to see if the relay status is on, and if it is, it waits about 8 seconds and then sets it to off. Now, I'd like to require that I have to press the icon twice before the door operates (just on the off chance I accidentally hit the icon once). I assume there is no way to do a confirmation message so I figured requiring a double tab is sufficient enough. Can't figure out the best way to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

What should one check if it doesn't automatically turn off? I have experienced the same as the OP and also had to create a program to turn the relay back off. I (to the best of my knowledge) followed the Wiki to a "T" and even purchased a different NO/NC contact than comes with the kit so that when it opens the status is "on", and when closed it is "off" (as I understand the original kit came this way).

Thanks

Drexx3

The I/O Linc Relay is a Responder Only device. When one of the Momentary modes turns the Relay Off the I/O Linc DOES NOT send message back to the ISY that the Relay is Off. The state of the Relay as understood by the ISY does not make any difference. The Relay turns On when sent an On command even when the ISY believes the Relay is already On. The state of the Relay does not indicate whether the door is open/closed/moving. The I/O Linc Sensor indicates the state of the door.

Some users want the Relay to show Off so a Program is used to send an Off command to the Relay. Makes no difference to the operation of the door.

The White LED on the side of the I/O Linc next to the Set button indicates whether the Relay is actually On.

Some users want the Relay to show Off so a Program is used to send an Off command to the Relay. Makes no difference to the operation of the door.

I would expect that sending an OFF command COULD cause problems if the relay is configured to respond to both ON and OFF commands. No?

In a garage application the I/O Linc Relay is physically operating equivalent to a momentary push button. In this configuration the Relay is Off except for the second or two that is used to start the garage door moving. Of course there are combinations of Scene On/Off with Momentary modes where an Off command will turn the Relay On. There has been no discussion by either poster discussing Scenes and how Momentary mode interacts.

There has been no discussion by either poster discussing Scenes and how Momentary mode interacts.

I was concerned that someone may read your earlier suggestion to put it into one of the momentary modes (A, B, or C) and conclude it did not matter. In this case, it might.

Thanks oberkc

My assumption to this point is the I/O Linc Relay will operate in any of the Momentary modes to achieve a momentary push button effect by the I/O Linc Relay. In any of the Momentary modes sending a Direct On command turns the Relay On. Momentary mode turns the Relay Off so sending a Direct Off command is effectively a no-op as far as the I/O Linc Relay is concerned. Sending a Direct Off command will cause the ISY to set the Relay “Current State†column to Off which has no affect on how the Relay operates (because Momentary mode has already turned the Relay Off).

There are very different results when using a Scene to control the I/O Linc Relay. Again, assuming the I/O Linc Relay is in one of the Momentary modes, the I/O Linc Relay reaction depends on which Momentary mode is being used. There are three Momentary modes with the I/O Linc Relay reacting differently to a Scene command based on which Momentary mode is being used and which Scene command, On or Off, is used. The I/O Linc User Guide details how the I/O Relay works when using a Scene. The I/O Linc User Guide does NOT describe how the I/O Linc Relay reacts to Direct commands because it is impossible for another Insteon device (except the PLM under control of an application) to send a Direct command. Pressing a KPL button to control the I/O Linc Relay is using a Scene.

Momentary mode turns the Relay Off so sending a Direct Off command is effectively a no-op as far as the I/O Linc Relay is concerned. Sending a Direct Off command will cause the ISY to set the Relay “Current State†column to Off which has no affect on how the Relay operates (because Momentary mode has already turned the Relay Off).

I probably knew that, but forgot. Yes, the problem I described manifests itself only with scenes.

I have confused folks enough here, so I will stop.

Thanks oberkc

My assumption to this point is the I/O Linc Relay will operate in any of the Momentary modes to achieve a momentary push button effect by the I/O Linc Relay. In any of the Momentary modes sending a Direct On command turns the Relay On. Momentary mode turns the Relay Off so sending a Direct Off command is effectively a no-op as far as the I/O Linc Relay is concerned. Sending a Direct Off command will cause the ISY to set the Relay “Current State†column to Off which has no affect on how the Relay operates (because Momentary mode has already turned the Relay Off).

There are very different results when using a Scene to control the I/O Linc Relay. Again, assuming the I/O Linc Relay is in one of the Momentary modes, the I/O Linc Relay reaction depends on which Momentary mode is being used. There are three Momentary modes with the I/O Linc Relay reacting differently to a Scene command based on which Momentary mode is being used and which Scene command, On or Off, is used. The I/O Linc User Guide details how the I/O Relay works when using a Scene. The I/O Linc User Guide does NOT describe how the I/O Linc Relay reacts to Direct commands because it is impossible for another Insteon device (except the PLM under control of an application) to send a Direct command. Pressing a KPL button to control the I/O Linc Relay is using a Scene.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I think I didn't explain things effectively. When I mean the relay wasn't turning off, I was referring to the actual Status that the ISY reports. In reading the above comments, that makes sense I think. The relay only responds (actuates) on a "ON" command. When the status is "ON" and I press the IOLink icon on Mobilinc and it goes from "ON" to "OFF" nothing happens with the garage door. However, when I press it again, and it goes from "OFF" to "ON" then the garage door opens or closes. I was hoping to try and make it so that it would open/close on either an "ON" command or "OFF" command and I thought the momentary modes would do that. I thought I tried each one (It is in "B" mode now I believe). Perhaps I forgot to write the changes to the device each time I changed it though. At any rate, my little program which changes the status from ON to OFF after an 8 second delay seems to fix the problem (albeit in a non-ideal way, but it works). My second/main question was around setting things up so that an inadvertent/stray touch on the IOLnk device in Mobilinc woudln't accidentally open my garage door while I'm away. I was hoping there would be a way to require a double press within a few seconds before the garage door IOLinc would activate.

Perhaps my problem here is that I'm working with the device itself in MobiLinc/ISY rather than through a scene.

Hi jjm2958-

You can accomplish what you want but it would require that you use a program to sit between you and the garage door kit. You would use the program as your Mobilink favorite rather than the IOLinc or a Scene to activate the garage door. Here is what I envision:

Define a state variable: s.ButtonPressCounter and set its value to 0

Program: GarageDoorIsolation

If 

Then
  s.ButtonPressCounter =+1

Else

Program: TriggerGarageDoor

If 
  s.ButtonPressCounter < 2

Then
  Wait 4 seconds
  s.ButtonPressCounter = 0

Else
  Set GarageDoorRelay On
  Wait 2 seconds
  Set Garage Door Relay Off

You would make the RunThen portion of GarageDoorIsolation your favorite. You will have to run this twice within 4 seconds to activate the door.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Archived