ISY 994 and HUB / or PLM and v220

ez1976

Again too bad.

If UDI put an interface to the Insteon Hub it could be their entrance into the European market and that serial port could disappear as it is all done over Etherrnet and would open many more way to access home control.

Yep.

But still as an Israeli wanting to use something similar to the isy I will need to buy the hub and homeseer meaning around 500$ for the basic version

If UDI put an interface to the Insteon Hub

I don't think this is is even possible for UDI to do. The blame is squarely on Smarthome's shoulders for refusing to make a PLM for use outside of the USA.

I have a brother that lives in Europe who would love to be able to do the same home automation stuff as I do, but he can't because of smarthome's stupid decision. Buying the hub is something he wouldn't even consider.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I don't think this is is even possible for UDI to do. The blame is squarely on Smarthome's shoulders for refusing to make a PLM for use outside of the USA.

I have a brother that lives in Europe who would love to be able to do the same home automation stuff as I do, but he can't because of smarthome's stupid decision. Buying the hub is something he wouldn't even consider.

But hub plus home seer will do the same as the isy

Yes but if you but the hub and combine it with home seer you will get the same options as the isy right?

Shalom chaver!

I cannot speak for UDI, but I think based on what I have read that this is not technically possible.

Regarding Homeseer, my own experiance with homeseer goes back to several years ago when I tried Homeseer with Z-wave. I had a terrible experience with a less than 50% reliability rate and ended up sending everything back within the 30 day trial period. But this was the zwave devices' problem not homeseer's. So I don't remember much about Homeseer & I am sure a lot of things changed since then as well. I personally would not want to rely on a computer running 24/7 for my home automation. A computer, especially if also used for other tasks can sometimes crash, freeze, and/or needs to be restarted from time to time.

BTW, speaking about Himezeer, the only one thing that I liked from Homeseer that the ISY does not have is the ability to have homseer poll an email account & respond to specific commands received in an email. At the time several years ago, the term smartphone did not exist yet, and this functionality gave me the ability to control devices in my home by sending a text message from my phone to the email address monitored by homeseer. Oh was that cool at the time... Today however we have smartphones and I use the Mobilinc app so this feature is not so important to me anymore. My wife though does not have a smartphone and for here this woupd come in nicely. Perhaps UDI will add this functionality one day.

Hi,

I just bought 110v, 60Hz inverter from ebay. The inverter takes 12V DC as input and output 110v 60Hz.

I have 220v to 12V DC converter in my house.

When the inverter will arrive I will try to connect it and will try my Insteon Smoke Bridge (This one is like the PLM, it works only via 110v 60Hz - I tried connecting it using 220V to 110V and it didn't work cause the frequency is 50Hz on the output) - If it will work with the smoke bridge then I think it will work with the PLM - I will update.

Thanks.

Hi,

I just bought 110v, 60Hz inverter from ebay. The inverter takes 12V DC as input and output 110v 60Hz.

I have 220v to 12V DC converter in my house.

When the inverter will arrive I will try to connect it and will try my Insteon Smoke Bridge (This one is like the PLM, it works only via 110v 60Hz - I tried connecting it using 220V to 110V and it didn't work cause the frequency is 50Hz on the output) - If it will work with the smoke bridge then I think it will work with the PLM - I will update.

Thanks.

thanks buddy

waiting to hear

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another one waiting for your report and hoping that it works.

I'm from Brazil and here we have a 60Hz powerline but some cities are 220V and I have just the same question. The ISY could be powered, ok, but, would the PLM work if powered from a 220/110V transformer?

Maybe the powerline signal would be ruined but I have my trust on the RF signal. If I works it could be transmitted to a near device and then re-transmitted to the powerline. That would be great. :o

Hi,

The inverter did not arrive yet, I will update when it does.

If you have 220v 60hz electricity voltage in your home then you can try converting it to 110v with a simple voltage converter, it won't change the electrical frequency. Then you will have 110v 60hz and you be able to try the PLM.

I'm another one waiting for your report and hoping that it works.

I'm from Brazil and here we have a 60Hz powerline but some cities are 220V and I have just the same question. The ISY could be powered, ok, but, would the PLM work if powered from a 220/110V transformer?

Maybe the powerline signal would be ruined but I have my trust on the RF signal. If I works it could be transmitted to a near device and then re-transmitted to the powerline. That would be great. :o

It should work just fine but try to get an actual transformer unit. Most of the small units are just a diode for heating devices. A transformer should pass the insteon signals back into the 220v mains voltage.

The Hub is a LAN based device and any LAN PC can control it with proper software. All the ISY needs is a driver to interface to the Hub and it would be a much more up to date interface than a serial port device that may be discontinued any time. The Hub's price has come down significantly lately where it could compete and possibly undercut the price of a 2413S and a serial port cable.

• 5 months later...

Archived